• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Spitfireace

The garbageman on truck noticed my N-1 while I was out for a morning walk,
N-1Jacket.jpg
asked me if I was previously in the USN. Turns out he was from California and in the navy there in the past. Some people do notice.

Chandler

The garbageman on truck noticed my N-1 while I was out for a morning walk, View attachment 86516asked me if I was previously in the USN. Turns out he was from California and in the navy there in the past. Some people do notice.
FWIW -- I was wearing a W&G Bedford cord summer FJ one time -- same sort of stencil as your N-1 -- and was asked if I was in the Navy.

My "no" reply garnered a somewhat stern look. I never wore that one again.

That's why I shy away from insignia -- really not looking to be disrespectful.

B-Man2

Chandler
I wouldn’t let the opinion of one or for that matter a couple of people dissuade me from wearing a military or USN marked jacket. When asked if I was in the service of whatever jacket I happen to be wearing I simply respond “No … I wasn’t…. but the jacket was and I’m wearing the jacket as a tribute to that branch of the military and the people who served there.”
E37B7D88-C0F8-4A1F-A965-44211AF55C24.gif

JonnyCrow

Chandler
I wouldn’t let the opinion of one or for that matter a couple of people dissuade me from wearing a military or USN marked jacket. When asked if I was in the service of whatever jacket I happen to be wearing I simply respond “No … I wasn’t…. but the jacket was and I’m wearing the jacket as a tribute to that branch of the military and the people who served there.”View attachment 86518
Burt add into that the tons of military surplus for sale in stores and amount of fashion companies and others remaking military style with patches, insignia on, it's a bit of a half arsed question to be questioned, again no disrespect, people will wear what they want to wear eh

Chandler

"No … I wasn’t…. but the jacket was and I’m wearing the jacket as a tribute to that branch of the military and the people who served there.”
I'll have to try to keep that answer in my head -- which is in my heart, because of the respect I carry. But there's still no way I'm going to add rank tabs or chevrons to anything I wear.

As an addendum -- I was wearing my N-3B while shopping with my wife this morning. There were 2 Vietnam vets in the store (obvious by their caps).

The 2 both eye-balled me a little, but never said anything, though I waited. Would definitely have shown them the respect they're due.

Chandler

Burt add into that the tons of military surplus for sale in stores and amount of fashion companies and others remaking military style with patches, insignia on, it's a bit of a half arsed question to be questioned, again no disrespect, people will wear what they want to wear eh
But don't you think there's only a small percentage of us out here who recognize that?

I know very few people who do -- including the woman I live with.

I can quote her favorite response, "Really?" ;)

JonnyCrow

I'll have to try to keep that answer in my head -- which is in my heart, because of the respect I carry. But there's still no way I'm going to add rank tabs or chevrons to anything I wear.

As an addendum -- I was wearing my N-3B while shopping with my wife this morning. There were 2 Vietnam vets in the store (obvious by their caps).

The 2 both eye-balled me a little, but never said anything, though I waited. Would definitely have shown them the respect they're due.

I think rank is different, at least all of this isn't as bad as Mitty's walting around as veterans with stolen honour

JonnyCrow

But don't you think there's only a small percentage of us out here who recognize that?

I know very few people who do -- including the woman I live with.

I can quote her favorite response, "Really?" ;)
Yep Chandler, I wear jackets with patches on etc and the small amount of bods on the street wouldn't recognise air corps from their arse ;) at least not American air corps here in Europe haha

Chandler

... at least all of this isn't as bad as Mitty's walking around as veterans with stolen honour
My old nextdoor neighbor (since moved, but we keep in touch and grab lunch often) is an in-country Vietnam vet.

There's a new bumper-sticker out there that proclaims "Vietnam Era Vet." I asked him what he thought of those. I got a sidewise look that answered it all.

I can respect anyone who served (or is serving), but there's a certain sense of glory-grabbing in a statement like that.

Claiming to actually be a vet is beyond reproach.

JonnyCrow

My old nextdoor neighbor (since moved, but we keep in touch and grab lunch often) is an in-country Vietnam vet.

There's a new bumper-sticker out there that proclaims "Vietnam Era Vet." I asked him what he thought of those. I got a sidewise look that answered it all.

I can respect anyone who served (or is serving), but there's a certain sense of glory-grabbing in a statement like that.

Claiming to actually be a vet is beyond reproach.
Big thing here in UK and Europe, there's a Facebook group that roots out walts

JonnyCrow

Outs people claiming to be a vet. Cool.
Oh believe me the Walter Mitty hunters club really go to town on them and make them publicly apologize, it's run by vets and serving, one of them said once jeez now there must of been 1000 SAS on that Iranian embassy balcony in London by now haha

Chandler

Cool. I never faced battle. Those are the real vets. That's why I say I served but I'm not a vet.
You still took the initiative. Good on you.

My only excuse was "I didn't have to." I was 2 stamps away from going to the US AF Academy after college... and a job came up. Still haven't figured out if I made the right choice.