• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Pa12

US Wings offers 'em:

Never handled 'roo hide before, but I've heard that kangaroos are assholes, so I'd feel even less compunction about turning them into clothing than I would other animals. :p
Even skippy the bush kangaroo?

mulceber

LOL!!!

LOL!! Jan
Please don’t stop with that closing comment. Tell us more…… that’s the first I’ve heard about them being assholes .
Couchy will know . How about it Trevor ?
Anything ??

Okay, I just googled it, and apparently it's just alpha males who are very aggressive. The rest just run away. But I'll defer to Couchy's expertise of course. ;)

CombatWombat

Never seen it used for jackets but years ago when I played high school and college football here in the US . We were issued Riddell football cleats that were made from kangaroo hide. They were issued to the running backs and receivers because the kangaroo hide was thinner and the shoes were lighter than the ones issued to the interior lineman which were made from regular leather . I know it’s a long way away from your question, but it sort of shows the toughness of the hide .
Kangaroo hide I think is the strongest for its weight/thickness......I know our old "Terra" army boots were made from kangaroo hide....or at least part of it was,I also have a few watch straps made from it as well....got the pores like pigskin thought so not the prettiest

CombatWombat

A question for our Australian members: I've heard that kangaroo hide is the toughest leather in the known universe, yet have never seen a jacket or any other garment made with it. Just wondering if there is an interesting story waiting to be told. Has anyone seen a flight jacket made with kangaroo leather? Or better yet; does anybody own one? Although no original A-2 contract used this leather, the idea sounds intriguing.
I think kangaroo hide is the strongest for its weight and thickness..... "Terra" Australian army boots were either made completely or partially from it and it's not uncommon to find working gloves made from it either.... I've only seen it have a open pored look like pigskin so probably not the best for high ended wear

YoungMedic

I've had fire gloves made from Kangaroo, stays supple for longer than the other leathers used before. My current gloves are made by Southcombe bros. in UK they use something proprietary called "Pyrohide", not sure of the origin but it reminds me of the kangaroo gloves I've had in the past

coolhandluke

crap - I am REALLY like that re-dyed Norshor A-2. Going to have to do everthhg I can to NOT email Mark about an order!!!!!!!!!

As someone who adores GW jackets, but couldn't justify the cost or wait, Mark's Dubow 23379 checked all the boxes. Below is a photo of a GW Dubow that I ran across earlier today. I'd take my Norshor test jacket at 1/3rd the cost each and every time. Even at full price, Mark's incredibly short wait time makes it a really nice alternative to the GW, BK, and Platon jackets.

Screenshot_20220414-101946_Instagram.jpg

20220413_183016.jpg

Last edited:

ausreenactor

LOL!!!

LOL!! Jan
Please don’t stop with that closing comment. Tell us more…… that’s the first I’ve heard about them being assholes .
Couchy will know . How about it Trevor ?
Anything ??

My boys shot an Emu the other day (unintentionally) ...

7.62mm took off a leg and half its body... Swear the rest are onto us and we get stink eye every time we pass them.. ;)

FB_IMG_1649843510813.jpg

Kangaroos are generally pretty good. Don't piss them off in a breeding season though...

They can pump out a turd or ten in a heartbeat!