• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

SUPERIOR TOGS CO
29271322-AC32-40AE-A652-146FA6161AEF.jpeg

newagegeezer

First decent evening here for a while so took the old '43 Willy's out for a sunset ride around the old airfield with the GW Perry on my back.

Being far from the madding crowd means this place was top secret during the war. At times like this it is not to imagine you can hear the roar of B-17 & B-24 engines throttling up at the start of their take of run during the USAAF & USN time here, then later the sweet sound of Merlins as umpteen RAF Mosquito and Mustangs mount Operation Carthage In March h of '45.

Like most wartime airfields you can almost touch the atmosphere...

View attachment 65175View attachment 65176
Bright lights...12V ? my old one was still on 6V and night driving was...... let's say interesting
Cheers

Micawber

Bright lights...12V ? my old one was still on 6V and night driving was...... let's say interesting
Cheers

Oh no, no, no! Still the original 6v which if kept in good order, with plenty of clean earth points, does a good job. I have never converted any of my previous vehicles to 12v if they were originally 6v and have never felt handicapped by the lights. I have always avoided busy main roads if travelling alone at night as the tiny rear reds just do not register with modern drivers... but neither do hand signals and 'trafficators'!

ausreenactor

Oh no, no, no! Still the original 6v which if kept in good order, with plenty of clean earth points, does a good job. I have never converted any of my previous vehicles to 12v if they were originally 6v and have never felt handicapped by the lights. I have always avoided busy main roads if travelling alone at night as the tiny rear reds just do not register with modern drivers... but neither do hand signals and 'trafficators'!
Nobody uses indicators in Australia..... constantly shaking my head.

Smithy

Nobody uses indicators in Australia..... constantly shaking my head.

Boy you should come here mate it's worse than Melbourne. I spend half my driving time here swearing at bastards who don't use their indicators. Every other bugger here seems to think that they're using "The Force" or some bloody thing and we'll all magically know which bloody way they're going.

Pisses me off no end as back in NZ, the cops would ping you with a ticket right, left and centre if you didn't indicate so it's drummed into you from when you start driving to use the things.

Flightengineer

First decent evening here for a while so took the old '43 Willy's out for a sunset ride around the old airfield with the GW Perry on my back.

Being far from the madding crowd means this place was top secret during the war. At times like this it is not to imagine you can hear the roar of B-17 & B-24 engines throttling up at the start of their take of run during the USAAF & USN time here, then later the sweet sound of Merlins as umpteen RAF Mosquito and Mustangs mount Operation Carthage In March h of '45.

Like most wartime airfields you can almost touch the atmosphere...

View attachment 65175View attachment 65176

Nice photo, Steve, I wanted to ask - are you standing right on the old RWY or is it the remains of a taxiway? If it's the RWY why it's so narrow? It was partially dismantled after the war and use as a road?

Micawber

Nice photo, Steve, I wanted to ask - are you standing right on the old RWY or is it the remains of a taxiway? If it's the RWY why it's so narrow? It was partially dismantled after the war and use as a road?

That is part of the perimeter track on the western side of the site below where the firing butt was once located, I have marked a rough approximation with a red X along with the direction of the first image.
The airfield was used for motor racing for a short period after the war, there is colour film of it on YouTube, but the concrete surface was in poor condition so they started to use the old 96th BG H base at Snetterton just a few miles away - and that is still a racetrack today!
Many of the redundant airfields had their concrete surfaces broken up in the decades since the war. The concrete being crushed and sold for use in construction elsewhere. Most of our driveway is made from crushed concrete from RAF Watton. Sometimes narrow tracks were left for access or agricultural purposes which is what happened here, other places the hard surfaces and buildings were removed completely and others remain somewhat intact.
There are several companies who have done well out of dealing with the leftover wartime concrete etc - and are still doing so today. It is hard to comprehend the vast amount of construction that went on in the war years around here.

673px-RAF_Fersfield_-_29_Aug_1946_Airfield~3.jpg

mulceber

Well, after a week where I felt like I was being besieged by the sun (temperatures around 88 F/31 C), the temperature broke yesterday and this morning it was 68 F/20 C. So, @Nnatalie and I decided it was jacket weather and went for a walk, me in my BK Star and her in her newly-patched Five Star Dubow:

038C912D-6A8E-4723-BE99-BCDD0D8D79CA_1_105_c.jpeg

4D28BA55-54B1-4071-BEC5-BE88F9B25AF4_1_105_c.jpeg

EC82737A-F47B-493D-8CD0-E026CADE1E67_1_105_c.jpeg

The patch is a WASP patch that I bought her for Christmas, but hadn't gotten around to having attached until about a week ago.