• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Micawber

@Micawber -- when I was looking, and had the wherewithal, the MBs were all either beat to hell or priced beyond any reasonable budget. I've looked a little these days, but not with true enthusiasm. They still seem to be a rich man's toy over here.

Was yours restored to a point, or did you give it a lot of attention?

FWIW -- my dad had a '47 Willys CJ-2a back in the late '70s. He sold it before I was out of college and before I got the true itch.

Without going into the ins and outs it had been kept and used sympathetically by the one family who bought it from the military and owned it for decades so it was in basically remarkable condition. It's had a body off respray, new clutch brakes, seat pads etc but is otherwise original down to the 1946 disposal / purchase paperwork. It wasn't cheap but all WW2 military vehicles have gone up in price over the years and you pay on condition / originality. I sold my last MB [a nice 1942 example ] 20 years ago, prices then were a 1/4 of what they are today. They are one of the few "classics" where all the bits are readily and easily available so obtaining a project and DIY restoring is not as daunting as a lot of things, of course if you have to pay someone to do the work the bills soon add up.

London Cabbie

I would say so. Comparing the Bronson B-15c and MA-1 the materials are very similar if not the same. They also both have the heavy wool mix insulation as well and this also compares well to the Buzz Ricksons MA-1.
That helps, Thankyou @bronson_vintage is using the WRONG density nylon fabric for the B-15c jacket. I support Bronson but am happy to point out obvious mistakes.
5D086712-E1F7-4B09-977E-CA3B5ABB18FE.jpeg

Smithy

This goes against everything this thread represents but remember I live inside the Arctic Circle in Norway...

Today was the first day since some bloody day last summer that I haven't worn a jacket. Holy of holies and this is in May too, God bless global warming.

Not that I could sit around and drink beer in the sun like any normal Antipodean would do when the sun is shining and the weather lovely. No Mrs Viking Wife had me painting both bloody verandahs and the damn fence too.

Norwegian National Day tomorrow so we have to look good for the Joneses or whatever the Norwegian equivalent of the neighbours is.

Smithy

wives globally, same same.

I tell you mate, as soon as the weather looks great and I'm thinking I'm going to enjoy myself, all the bloody summer projects come out from the better half. Problem is I'm not bad at DIY stuff so I get fucking roped in to do stuff for her Mum, her Dad, her brother, etc, etc.

So much for having a couple of quiet beers and enjoying the weather.

London Cabbie

I tell you mate, as soon as the weather looks great and I'm thinking I'm going to enjoy myself, all the bloody summer projects come out from the better half. Problem is I'm not bad at DIY stuff so I get fucking roped in to do stuff for her Mum, her Dad, her brother, etc, etc.

So much for having a couple of quiet beers and enjoying the weather.
Tell me about it. I charge Friends & Family rates now… ;)

Chandler

I could not say why but when I saw this picture I immediately thought of this painting by Norman Rockwell ;) :

I just saw an article documenting a visit to the Rockwell museum -- this jacket is on display there. I'll see if I can add a link with the image.

Can only link to the article, pretty long, but it's the 17th picture in the story.

Last edited:

Micawber

The Norfolk countryside, England, Spring 2021.
Scene 1
Old chap wearing specs, olive moleskins, brogues, GW Star c/w 600 Sqdn 398th BG H patch stands surveying his stable yard, a gentle rain, birdsong (swift's, blackbird's, robin etc), a slight breeze, a dog barks, a tractor passes, a horse whinny's, sheep in the distance, a gate creaks, a pheasant calls...

IMG_20210517_160604_721~2_resize_20.jpg

Then suddenly a flash of red as the heavy fire extinguisher, which moments before had hung in its usual place in the yard, sails through the air striking the.....

Eat your heart out ELMC.....

Last edited:

B-Man2

Scene 1
Old chap wearing specs, olive moleskins, brogues, GW Star c/w 600 Sqdn 398th BG H patch stands surveying his stable yard, a gentle rain, birdsong (swift's, blackbird's, robin etc), a slight breeze, a dog barks, a tractor passes, a horse whinny's, sheep in the distance, a gate creaks, a pheasant calls...

View attachment 60785

Then suddenly a flash of red as the heavy fire extinguisher, which moments before had hung in its usual place in the yard, sails through the air striking the.....

Great looking Star …. !

Spitfireace

Scene 1

View attachment 60785

You need to write a movie script Steve.