• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

John Luder

Thanks a lot One-eyed Jack :)
This is the Bronson B-10.
I thought so. I'm pleased with their B-10, but they're getting hard to find. I have a 40, which is fine for a cool day without a sweater underneath, but for NY this winter, I'm thinking I'll need a 42 or 44 to layer up. Especially after I put it through a cold wash and dryer to take the sheen off the cotton.

John Luder

I mentioned my Navy jumper. Here it is.
This is from What Price Glory. I really like shawl collars, and this is a nice windbreaker, but this maker has its drawbacks. The thread was white (the Army denims had white thread), and made from synthetic, so it won't take a dye bath.
I stripped the color a couple times and tried different shades of blue to instantly age it. The white thread only absorbed a bit, tho, it almost looks like the thread has faded to its current shade.
ATF makes one that has dark blue thread, but that's all I know about it.
I read that guys didn't like this jacket, and I've only seen it in a few photos. If they didn't like it, one reason is the loops holding the buttons. Somehow, I lost a loop today, but the button ended up in a pocket.
The buttons and loops also catch on things, like shoulder harness/seat belts.
I got home and drilled the holes so I could get more of the loop shoved through.
I'll tell you who really hated it; the dudes in the laundry. One guy, at the start of the line, had to uncurl the loops and drop them in a container and drop the button in another. Then, someone at the end had to put the button through the eyelet, flatten the material, find the transverse hole and thread one of the ends of the loop, and then push the loop through the hole.
That, right there, is a good reason for not washing this thing anymore. That's ok, right now, it smells of cigar smoke. Not, me, mind. Just smoking for a friend.
Reenactors hate field mods, and their little clubs won't tolerate anything that organically occurred in a combat zone out of necessity or convenience, or both.
I went to the Salivation Army and got some old jeans that didn't match, obviously. I put a pack of Luckys in the pocket and used fine grit sandpaper to outline the pack. While I was at it, I also attached an inside, left breast pocket.
I look downright nautical wearing this with the blue chambray shirt, khaki trousers, and blue canvas slip-ons. Now all I need is the captain's cap that Tony Curtis wore in Some Like It Hot. Or was it Joe E. Brown romancing Jack Lemmon?
Aloha.
IMG_9985.jpg
IMG_9987.jpg

John Luder

FINALLY !!!
The first day cool enough down here to wear a jacket !!. It’s been such a long time I since I posted in this thread … that I forgot where it was !
Mowing the lawn today wearing my “wanna be” French Cyclist / fake Luftwaffe jacket from US Wings . GO PHILLIES !!:)
View attachment 124121View attachment 124123
If you live in, or visit, Philly, I recommend the Henry James saloon in Roxborough, near Manayunk. I walked in the first time and just loved the place. My whole trip back in December is centered around having my birthday dinner there with my kids, who live within a few miles of the place. Nothing like it in Southern California, that I've found, and I've been drinking for a looooong time.
Go Phils, Go Eeeguls.
Cheers

John Luder

having just moved out of London to Sandwich, Kent I'm only just catching up with the jacket "show and tell".
Lovely Autumn day here after a week of rain so starting a bit of winter pruning. Having sold my jeep a couple of years back my original Arctic M41 (they had thicker lining and were slightly longer than M41 but mine had been cut down to normal M41 length before I picked it up in the '70s) and forage cap have been demoted to gardening duty (shades of Mr Micawber...). Have a large shed here so will be able to be reunited with my old bikes , they have been languishing in my daughter's garage as I had nowhere to keep in London, when they are recommissioned I'll have more reason to get the old jackets out .

View attachment 124675
Is that your gardening shed in the background, M'Lud?

ZuZu

This is me flying back from Paris on Saturday. Had an amzing journey. I found that the GW Aero was the ideal jacket for Europe in the fall and for flying. Before this I had worn a G-1 type on all my Europe trips- but I found that the collar became uncomfortable after hours of use. The A-2 was completely comfortable all the time except for the 80 degree weather in Greece.

I guess my reappearance will be greeted by some like that of a possibly rabid dog...
(I know I give myself way too much credit...)

20231028_181911.jpg

Attachments

• 20231028_181911.jpg
    20231028_181911.jpg
    657.7 KB · Views: 63

John Luder

Blackbxr,
That's quite a photo. Did you arrive with thousands and leave with tons of jackets, or leave disappointed and frustrated?
Bronson doesn't have any size 44 B-10s in stock, and the one cat on ebay who has them, has a 78% approval rating.
I see that Five Star makes B-10s.
Has any of our gang got(ten)/bought(ten?) a B-10 from Five? Except for the synthetic used for the fur collar, I've been very happy with their leather jackets.
All thoughts will be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Jack

Blackboxr1200S

Blackbxr,
That's quite a photo. Did you arrive with thousands and leave with tons of jackets, or leave disappointed and frustrated?
Bronson doesn't have any size 44 B-10s in stock, and the one cat on ebay who has them, has a 78% approval rating.
I see that Five Star makes B-10s.
Has any of our gang got(ten)/bought(ten?) a B-10 from Five? Except for the synthetic used for the fur collar, I've been very happy with their leather jackets.
All thoughts will be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Jack

Hi Jack,
We did arrive with thousands . The Ciney militaria fair is HUGE!
Love strolling through the stands the whole day.
And no, no jacket this time, only a pair of A10 gloves I picked up from Shawn and a cool looking US Air Corps writing set holding paper and envelopes.
Wearing a 5* Rough Wear in the picture btw . I never go home frustrated, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
No idea what the 5star B-10 is like, sorry.
Buddy of mine is also awaiting the Bronson restock. Hopefully before winter kicks in.

IMG_20231029_165825.jpg