• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the warmest jacket you own? What is your ideal extreme cold weather jacket?

MaydayWei

One of these . But if it’s cold enough to need one it’s to dam cold to go out !

You're quite right! But it's all a hypothetical.
Y'know, just in case we one day find ourselves gathered on the side of a mountain to discuss our go to extreme cold weather jackets. ;)

MaydayWei

I know this may come as a surprise to some of you, but I’ve got so many jackets it’s sometimes hard to choose which one to wear :D;)
View attachment 47120

Preach into the choir. Never have so many understood the feeling of having so many jackets to choose from and yet (surprisingly) never having any jackets to wear. ;)
And that N-1 is beautiful, really tempting me to get one of my own!

London Cabbie

My Bronso (itchy & scratchy) tanker Taxi Driver. Not wore it yet, not cold enough.
B26D79A7-36FE-48A7-876D-D56AD48254E5.jpeg
only as a dare...

Smithy

I always hear mixed things about Canada goose, but if its good enough for @Flightengineer up in Russia, and @Smithy in Arctic Norway...

The heavy duty Canada Goose parkas are simply fantastic. Sadly over recent years they have become "trendy" with people wearing them in environments and areas where there is absolutely no need for them. Poncing around a temperate urban setting in a CG is just silly and really only for some absurd posing purpose.

However when worn in the environments and temperature conditions for which they were actually designed to be used, they are superb pieces of kit. The are engineered beautifully too with tons of brilliantly thought out little bits and details, pocket fastenings, arrangement and closures designed to be used whilst wearing heavy insulated mittens or gloves, the double handwarmers depending on ambient temperature, wire hood to adjust against wind, etc. One other thing which a lot of people don't know - they come with a lifetime warranty, something very few outerwear bits of clobber have.

At the end of the day they are designed to be used in environments where there is the danger of frostbite, hypothermia, and even death. They really aren't fashion statements, in truth they're a piece of extreme cold environment survival kit.

MaydayWei

The heavy duty Canada Goose parkas are simply fantastic. Sadly over recent years they have become "trendy" with people wearing them in environments and areas where there is absolutely no need for them. Poncing around a temperate urban setting in a CG is just silly and really only for some absurd posing purpose.

However when worn in the environments and temperature conditions for which they were actually designed to be used, they are superb pieces of kit. The are engineered beautifully too with tons of brilliantly thought out little bits and details, pocket fastenings, arrangement and closures designed to be used whilst wearing heavy insulated mittens or gloves, the double handwarmers depending on ambient temperature, wire hood to adjust against wind, etc. One other thing which a lot of people don't know - they come with a lifetime warranty, something very few outerwear bits of clobber have.

At the end of the day they are designed to be used in environments where there is the danger of frostbite, hypothermia, and even death. They really aren't fashion statements, in truth they're a piece of extreme cold environment survival kit.

You nailed it on the head. Indeed, one of the strongest reasons against my buying one is the fact that is has such an overt stigma.
Unfortunately, its perceived as more of a statement piece than for its original high-utility, functional abilities as a cold-weather piece of survival kit.
Ah, well. Might try to find the most subtle jacket they make.

Smithy

You nailed it on the head. Indeed, one of the strongest reasons against my buying one is the fact that is has such an overt stigma.
Unfortunately, its perceived as more of a statement piece than for its original high-utility, functional abilities as a cold-weather piece of survival kit.
Ah, well. Might try to find the most subtle jacket they make.

I have the Citadel which is basically a slimmed down Expedition. Awesome when it is seriously, seriously cold. The worst I've worn it in was up in the mountains when a winter storm hit and when the ambient temperature was -30 something and with a howling gale so probably an effective temperature of well below -40 and I was as happy as a sandboy.

For less extreme cold my two regular go tos are an Irvin and a ATF 1944 Pattern Wehrmacht Sumpftarn parka.

The 1944 parka is actually remarkably flexible and I can actually wear it in very cold conditions too if I have on thermals, woollen shirt and jumper.

FreddyF9

It was my old Irvin, i used to wear it during my winter holidays on the mountains many years ago, it kept me toasty warm with -25 degrees Celsius with just a sweater and a t-shirt under it. But with nowadays winters it would be too much here in Italy.

busdrivermike

Warmest jackets for me judged by only needing the jacket no layers in -20c or lower
Are my issued parkas, got three, one I never picked up as I had two already
We get one every 5 years, considered to be the only good uniform issue we have
My older one is slightly thicker

And of course my noble house b3 , it may be an abomination for historical accuracy people
But you simply cannot get cold in it, the collar with a good hat is as warm as any hood
With face protection

either jacket takes on the northern Alberta winters

I don’t think I have an ideal jacket, the parka is great for shoveling, snowblower operation
And work outside but the b3 makes me feel better

2B45A092-0644-421F-959B-087AE22C004A.jpeg
D680FF14-6EAC-48F4-BB42-4243EB5AE20A.jpeg
98D9D7E4-ABE8-4E16-B07E-8EB423952A7E.jpeg

Last edited:

AlexLutov

If I may, I've always thought that horsehide would be a bit too stiff under extreme cold conditions, would it not?
I also think that horse skin is not suitable for cold weather, maybe goat skin would be better.. but this IMHO and I MSU be wrong, can this horse skin what the special dressing? and it does not tan at sub-zero temperatures..