• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the warmest jacket you own? What is your ideal extreme cold weather jacket?

MaydayWei

Hey guys,

Out of curiosity, what is the warmest jacket you own?
And, if money were no object, what would be your ideal extreme cold weather jacket?

It need not be militaria! I was just wondering... it's snowing 6 feet out your front door; you need to go outside; you look over at your collection of jackets, which would you choose? and why?

AlexLutov

20951650d6ddc1c3_Thunderbay Front-500.jpg

robrinay

It’s a toss up between my N3B ‘parka’ and my Rab ‘puffer’ jacket. The former is tougher and doesn’t rip easily and is somewhat heavier than the latter so that’s the one I use for outdoor jobs. The Rab is extremely light and is great for walking shopping etc. In terms of my ideal cold weather jacket, I couldn’t specify a single one because as I intimated above ‘form follows function’ and so some are better suited for certain purposes.

MikeyB-17

As an individual jacket probably the B-3, but tbh if it’s seriously cold I am more likely to layer up with various fleeces and my Berghaus Gore-tex. The warmest one I ever had was a ‘64 N-3B. It also needs to be pretty cold before I can wear the Schott leather Pea Coat.

robrinay

When it’s not extremely cold I walk the dog in either my n1 deck jacket or a Barbour waxed Solway zipper with ‘ teddy bear’ fleece liner.I know this may come as a surprise to some of you, but I’ve got so many jackets it’s sometimes hard to choose which one to wear :D;)
07790400-43D1-48BF-B1BF-2B034D6351F6.jpeg
FF987B61-D489-4CBE-AA7A-2B3D5C8C2412.jpeg

Last edited:

MaydayWei

Wow, guys. Thanks for all the replies and the pictures! Some really great jackets you've all got there.
Honestly, I was surprised by the diversity; I was expecting overwhelming favour for the N-3b. And for good reason, its a damn fine jacket that'll keep you warm as hell.
I always hear mixed things about Canada goose, but if its good enough for @Flightengineer up in Russia, and @Smithy in Arctic Norway...