• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you guys think about the Bronson D-1 ?

Pa12

Also noticed they used longer fur/hair. Kind of spoils the point for a lighter weight shearling to me.
I’ll just tack a gw d-1 on my long list of things I want but will likely never be able to get. My lottery win list ;) and the jacket will be the cheapest thing on my list:p

Pa12

It's just over a thousand Canadian. For two hundred more you can get an Aero and get it custom made. Everything else made by Bronson is half or third the price of everybody else. So I don't see the value in their leather offerings.
Gw shipped, converted and taxed is around 2800 Canadian. Ouch.

Dumpster D

The price is overrated. For the low quality .
Do You mean Bronson's new D-1 specifically? or FS in general? or both companies?

Bronson's new D-1? I can't say about the price/quality scale, because I don't own one. No one's forcing me to buy it.

Sure, I'd rather own an ELC or GW over the Bronson D-1, I'll just have to save up a little more for now.

I Think FS is great!! Sure they're not 'higher end' maker, but ELC has been around for long enough to have all the best materials to work with by now, They built it up over decades, you know?

Zero complaints about the price or the quality from FS from me personally. I'm happy. It's good there's some affordable stuff out there for people who just want a cool WWII style flight jacket and either don't have the money or the desire to own something in the higher price range. I guess this has already been discussed, but I'll put my 2 Cents in the tip jar and give it up for FS.

FS for example. I don't fault them as they are a relatively newer company, doing their best, and they've got stuff no one else is putting out, for example the Werber D-1 Jacket, for that reason they're a godsend.

They've listened to people, and taken notes on what customers want in a Flight Jacket reproduction and they're actively working on putting out things no one else has done.

I notice FS did the Type B-6 flying helmet repro first... a few years later (Just around the same time I finished my FS B-6 mod project to my pleasant surprise!! ) Out comes the ELC B-6 helmet. Interesting. ;) Perfect timing.

I am of the impression that some of the best Tailors in the world currently are in Pakistan

As for Bronson, they're putting out some Great stuff, I love my C-2 sweater from them, and the price was affordable compared to all the other repro Sweaters, and the quality is pretty good actually.

Currently thinking about maybe getting the Bronson A4 Mechanic wool knit hat, anyone have one of those who might be able to advise or review this compared to Buzz Rickson's version or any other repro maker currently producing the A4 hat?

Last edited:

busdrivermike

I really like the look and idea of a d1 jacket, a great jacket for
Milder Alberta winter temps of 0 to -10
But I simply cannot stand that shiny finish, is it acrylic ?
I know it’s not historically accurate But I’d prefer a vegetable tan finish,
Much like I believe the original Irvin jackets were.
I know I’m probably an outlier in my opinion but that shiny crinkly finish
Just makes my skin crawl.
I’ve considered asking 5 star if they could do the Weber d1 in a veg tan

Spitfireace

Do You mean Bronson's new D-1 specifically? or FS in general? or both companies?

Bronson's new D-1? I can't say about the price/quality scale, because I don't own one. No one's forcing me to buy it.

Sure, I'd rather own an ELC or GW over the Bronson D-1, I'll just have to save up a little more for now.

I Think FS is great!! Sure they're not 'higher end' maker, but ELC has been around for long enough to have all the best materials to work with by now, They built it up over decades, you know?

Zero complaints about the price or the quality from FS from me personally. I'm happy. It's good there's some affordable stuff out there for people who just want a cool WWII style flight jacket and either don't have the money or the desire to own something in the higher price range. I guess this has already been discussed, but I'll put my 2 Cents in the tip jar and give it up for FS.

FS for example. I don't fault them as they are a relatively newer company, doing their best, and they've got stuff no one else is putting out, for example the Werber D-1 Jacket, for that reason they're a godsend.

They've listened to people, and taken notes on what customers want in a Flight Jacket reproduction and they're actively working on putting out things no one else has done.

I notice FS did the Type B-6 flying helmet repro first... a few years later (Just around the same time I finished my FS B-6 mod project to my pleasant surprise!! ) Out comes the ELC B-6 helmet. Interesting. ;) Perfect timing.

I am of the impression that some of the best Tailors in the world currently are in Pakistan

As for Bronson, they're putting out some Great stuff, I love my C-2 sweater from them, and the price was affordable compared to all the other repro Sweaters, and the quality is pretty good actually.

Currently thinking about maybe getting the Bronson A4 Mechanic wool knit hat, anyone have one of those who might be able to advise or review this compared to Buzz Rickson's version or any other repro maker currently producing the A4 hat?
Like I say, Bronson has good offerings in wool, nylon, jackets, I don't quite see the value in their leathers. It's ok. To each their own.

Dumpster D

Like I say, Bronson has good offerings in wool, nylon, jackets, I don't quite see the value in their leathers. It's ok. To each their own.

In so many words, yes.

I took a look at this Bronson D-1 and for the price point and what the photos are showing?

I'm much happier that I went with the FS Werber D-1 than I would be with this Bronson D-1.

Both are great. I'm betting someone at Bronson took notice of what FS is doing with their Werber D-1 Jacket, and saw it was a good seller and decided to reproduce their own version of an original contract Jacket.

CBI

Bronson and FS have some great things and some lesser just like every company. I think the opinions get a little overdone sometimes. the only way for one to have 100000% authenticity is to own an original. I'm totally over the authentic thing. Close and great vintage vibe works for me.

Shanghai-Mayne

other manufacturer in china offering B6 or D1 , they let customers choose fleece high which suit their environment, option is 16mm, 21mm and 26mm.

IMG_1561.jpeg

IMG_1563.jpeg

colekwok

Wow, I just saw this post. Looks like Bronson (international) has come a long way. I tried to look at the price at their official taobao shop for the D-1 and it came out like this right now. It looks to me that whoever runs Bronson international is really making a huge profit from you guys....just saying.

With the current exchange rate, that would roughly equates to USD400.

D1.jpg

colekwok

Provided that they are still making money by selling the jacket in China locally for USD400, that's still a big difference, especially Bronson (International) does not have a physical shop anywhere in the world.