• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watches to wear with your flight jackets...

warguy

I am not usually a big fan of the square watches in general, but have liked the smaller tank watches and your Omega is wicked cool. Love the art deco and have always loved Omega. Really nice find there.

JonnyCrow

I am not usually a big fan of the square watches in general, but have liked the smaller tank watches and your Omega is wicked cool. Love the art deco and have always loved Omega. Really nice find there.
Thanks, my Son when he bought me it knows what I like and has a good eye like his Dad I think :)

JonnyCrow

The other thing on it replaced is the winder which is plain steel, I think it would have had a winder with the conical blue sapphire set into it, very often seen, presuming it did

Sideslip

I am looking at this Waltham at an interesting price which is perhaps reflected in its condition (although it is working). However, what are your thoughts on the case which has clearly suffered.

1695492426314.png

Kermit3D

I am looking at this Waltham at an interesting price which is perhaps reflected in its condition (although it is working). However, what are your thoughts on the case which has clearly suffered.

View attachment 121313
A rare watch developed jointly by the American and British armies. It's a type A-11 when supplied by the Americans and it's a "mark 8" when supplied by the British.
I hope I'm not talking nonsense. I think it's a navy model (but I'm not sure).
Nice find, but watch out for the hands: the seconds and minutes hands are the wrong ones.

Last edited:

Sideslip

Thanks - I had spotted that the second hand was a replacement, but this is very useful. This one was made for the British as well, 1942. The price is no doubt reflecting the anomalies. Something to think about...

Kermit3D

Thanks - I had spotted that the second hand was a replacement, but this is very useful. This one was made for the British as well, 1942. The price is no doubt reflecting the anomalies. Something to think about...
Are there any British army markings on the back of the case ?

Spitfireace

You can have that case buffed out by a qualified professional jeweler, so that it will look like new. You’ll love the result .
The case is nickel plated brass. The plating is worn off. So buffing won't help. It can be replated. It's a fairly costly process to get a pro to do. Sometimes you can find cases in better condition and swap them. I have a Waltham from 1942 with a worn case as well. It's honest wear over 80 years. Usually called a patina I guess. What really counts for me is if the dial and hands and are original and in nice condition. Of course if the movement works well. This is always a gamble in an 80 year old watch.

Sideslip

The (reputable) seller says that it works well including the hack. I think that the price is reflecting the minute hand and second hand anomaly - we don’t now when that was done.

If it was just the seconds hand, I might have persevered but may pass. Thanks all for your expertise!

@Saint-ex asked about the back:
IMG_1563.jpeg
IMG_1564.jpeg

Pilot

The (reputable) seller says that it works well including the hack. I think that the price is reflecting the minute hand and second hand anomaly - we don’t now when that was done.

If it was just the seconds hand, I might have persevered but may pass. Thanks all for your expertise!

@Saint-ex asked about the back:
View attachment 121369View attachment 121371
You did well!
In watch jargon its called a „ Frankensteiner „.
Ruined for any serious collector.