• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watches to wear with your flight jackets...

PeterShiao

seiko
IMG20231011141512.jpg

ties70

Ties
Is there an easy way to tell the date without opening up the watch to find the serial number ? (Not a watch guy)
Hi Burt,

Kermit3D

Ties
Is there an easy way to tell the date without opening up the watch to find the serial number ? (Not a watch guy)
Hmmm... a simple way ? :D
A Speedmaster chronograph enthusiast could spend a day explaining it to you, and he'd barely have scratched the surface.

I don't know anything about it, I just know that... it's complicated.

Kermit3D

Hi Burt,

Like I said, it's complicated ! :D

B-Man2

Hi Burt,

Thank you .:)

Kermit3D

Of course, I can't afford it, but if I could, that's probably the one I'd want, 39.7 mm diameter with caliber 321 (column-wheel chrono).

ties70

See the tiny but obvious (once you have seen them) differences?

Vincent's Speedy is missing the "Professional" and the "T" at the "Swiss Made". His hands are arrows, mine are straight....

And so on... Tiny things that can help to find out the manufacturing date...

Saint-ex

Mine is a reissue of Walter Schirra’s.
His watch was a ref 2998 he wore during his mission around Earth.
Was before NASA validation as official watch so, no professional mention.
The case is also thinner and obviously not “T” as this is a reissue without Radium.

But as @ties70 said, a trained eye is able to differentiate generation by subtle detail as you are for A-2 @B-Man2 .