• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watches to wear with your flight jackets...

Helvetia..great brand and quality...
Have two of them ( DH watches) on the market right now...
Very nice pieces of history...supporting the fact that even Switzerland supported actively the German war efforts during WWII.

I have two DH Helvetia as well, just received the second one today. Have you read my page on the DH Helvetias on the link I posted? I would be interested in details of yours if I haven't already got them in my records.

I think Helvetia actually struggled to keep up with the orders from Germany and other places during the war. At different times I think they used some of their DH cases to build civilian watches and also later added DH numbers to some cases originally earmarked for the civilian market.

They are a very interesting but little known brand.

Pilot

My two Helvetia’s
46DD0B12-9090-4C16-95E3-BFA218BB0566.png
A917CE70-2A87-46C6-AB34-73217174048F.png
E987CDA1-DD90-4A0E-A4D2-38731F1341DE.png
57DA2E1A-8A06-44EA-8841-E2375C8950BA.png

Pilot

Most valuable” D-H “ ( standard issued wrist) watches are Longines, Minerva, Mimo and Zenith...
All delivered from 1937 to 1944 to the 3rd Reich....and paid in solid gold...via a diplomatic case and transfer in Zürich or Basel.
So far for the “ neutral “ Switzerland...

Last edited:
My two Helvetia’s

Many thanks for posting those Pilot. The 363 is the lowest Helvetia DH number I've seen, the previous one was 428. They go up to about 40,000 which is relatively low for DH numbers and I think all the orders were placed near the beginning of the process though some were not delivered until 1944 and some I believe never made it to the Germans at all.

I think the Swiss were neutral in that they supplied watches to both sides! Lots of British GSTP pocket watches were supplied by Helvetia for instance and these nice Admiralty wrist watches, with thanks to a MWR member and Konrad Knirim, were also supplied by Helvetia.

When I've finished cleaning up my new acquisition I'll post a picture of my two together.

Thanks. Carl.

Brice
I’ve no experience with this particular watch. What’s the value of something like this?

Thx Burt for asking.
Depending on its condition and state ( all original, working condition etc...)...ranging from 380,— Euro to 800 Euro

I think they tend to be a bit cheaper in the UK, I think British watches are more popular here. The one I received yesterday I paid £150 for and my other last year was £160. As pilot says some makes are a lot more popular than Helvetia though.

Pilot

I think they tend to be a bit cheaper in the UK, I think British watches are more popular here. The one I received yesterday I paid £150 for and my other last year was £160. As pilot says some makes are a lot more popular than Helvetia though.
Lucky you:)
The „others“ , the Ukrainian versions...hmmm

Last edited:

Lucky you getting them with provenance from the 'liberators' of them. Which country was this in?

Yes, that sort of price is more usual. That type of numbering is the latest type on Helvetia DH watches from about 1944, that type also have the Helvetia serial number inside the case back to help date them. I couldn't tell you if the US Army Ord markings are correct though I don't know enough about them. These late ones often have these marks though so I think some were captured or diverted to the US Army. My one from yesterday is this style but without the US markings.

As Helvetias are not among the most popular they are normally not messed about as much as some others luckily.

Pilot

Thx.
All original Helvetia DH ...from straps ...to crown and movement holding ring etc... are very seldom though...