• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watches to wear with your flight jackets...

stanier

Sharing my life with Mrs Ties started exactly today, only 20 years ago....I thought, I should wear my "wedding watch" to celebrate this a little bit

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary Ties! Might be an idea to do a bit more than wear your watch though to celebrate! :D

Micawber

This thread causes me much amusement, VLJ's version of Willy waving with who has the nicest / best / most expensive timepiece around their wrist. Im not playing but I tell you what, I wouldn't swap any watch seen here for the two cheapo's shown below and I'll tell you why...
The little Timex was the first watch I was given as a very young lad and the one I learned to tell the time with. The old Continental was given to me to replace the Timex when I was a bit older and was the watch I wore all through most of my schooldays. Neither work but to me they are priceless.

Let normal Willy waving service resume after this post...

IMG_20191130_162554753.jpg

Last edited:

Officer Dibley

I’m not willy-waving ! I’m trying to say that not-so-expensive watches are cool too.
Also that small watches are cool. Cooler in fact now that large watches are in !
I’ve mostly had a beard for 35 years and worn caps. People who don’t know me think i’m a follower when i am in fact ahead of the trends. So far ahead that i have to wait decades for folk to catch me up !! :D

Micawber

I’m not willy-waving ! I’m trying to say that not-so-expensive watches are cool too.
Also that small watches are cool. Cooler in fact now that large watches are in !
I’ve mostly had a beard for 35 years and worn caps. People who don’t know me think i’m a follower when i am in fact ahead of the trends. So far ahead that i have to wait decades for folk to catch me up !! :D

Dave, if cheap watches are cool too I reckon that little old tuppeny ha'penny Timex of mine must be sub zero ;)

MikeyB-17

Such things either appeal to you or they don't. My Speedmaster was the most expensive watch I have ever owned, and also the least reliable and most expensive to service, which is why I finally had to let it go. I now have several watches which blow it away for accuracy and reliability, but I would have another one tomorrow, and with a bit of luck one day I will again. And when I do I will be willy-waving on here like there's no tomorrow. Although it's not really about willy-waving, I don't think anyone who's posted here is doing so to impress anyone or to show how much money they have, it's just sharing a liking of nice watches. Many don't understand the appeal of fine mechanical timepieces, many are astounded how much people can pay for them - much like many don't believe how much people pay for jackets. Don't recall anyone getting accused of willy-waving for showing off their new ELC. Anyway it's my willy and I'll wave it as much as I want. :D

Micawber

Such things either appeal to you or they don't. My Speedmaster was the most expensive watch I have ever owned, and also the least reliable and most expensive to service, which is why I finally had to let it go. I now have several watches which blow it away for accuracy and reliability, but I would have another one tomorrow, and with a bit of luck one day I will again. And when I do I will be willy-waving on here like there's no tomorrow. Although it's not really about willy-waving, I don't think anyone who's posted here is doing so to impress anyone or to show how much money they have, it's just sharing a liking of nice watches. Many don't understand the appeal of fine mechanical timepieces, many are astounded how much people can pay for them - much like many don't believe how much people pay for jackets. Don't recall anyone getting accused of willy-waving for showing off their new ELC. Anyway it's my willy and I'll wave it as much as I want. :D

I do understand what you are saying as I do actually appreciate fine pieces of mechanical engineering. I went through a phase of collecting and in some cases restoring antique British pocket watches but have since moved onto occasionally working on mainly 18th century provincial British long case clocks. Classic vehicles have been another hobby on and off for years ...but I don't show and tell everything, I just don't feel the need.

Officer Dibley

Steve, i’m really suprised at your last two posts. After all, you did post about your new to you jeep which, for the price you paid for it, could by some be taken as about as willy-waving as you can get. It cost somewhere in the region of 45 times more than i paid for my Tudor. And i had to sell other things on ebay to generate the money to buy it. It wasn’t additive to what i own, it replaced several other items.
Certainly your jeep is way beyond the reach of almost everyone else on here.......( let alone your horses which you have posted on VLJ) just taking the jeep out for a drive some folk would take as showing off & even though i know you bought it entirely to please yourself, others will have your interpretation of us showing our watches.... that latter view won’t stop you going out for a drive though will it !

Personally, i like it when people share what they own. I’ve never felt you or anyone else is bragging or saying “i have more more money than you” even when it is plain many folk do have a lot of money to burn on this trinketry.

I enjoy living vicariously on here because i cannot afford original jackets, jeeps etc. We all enjoy interests on here that most others near us geographically do not. This place and seeing what stuff others have and feeling part of a fraternity. Do i often feel envious ? Sure, but never jealous. There’s a huge difference.

If for one instant i thought you or anyone else on here thought my show-and-tells on here was me lording it over others, i’d never post on here again. I suspect many others would feel the same.

Just my opinion, not meant to offend anyone but felt a different view to yours needed as it was after my Tudor post that you came out “swinging” so feel it was aimed at me and to also be put forward so folk don’t feel disinclined to share their loot.

After all, the whole modus operandi of this forum demands people show and tell to entertain & educate so without people doing that, there is no forum.....

Dave

Last edited:

Micawber

Steve, i’m really suprised at your last two posts. After all, you did post about your new to you jeep which, for the price you paid for it, could by some be taken as about as willy-waving as you can get. It cost somewhere in the region of 45 times more than i paid for my Tudor. And i had to sell other things on ebay to generate the money to buy it. It wasn’t additive to what i own, it replaced several other items.
Certainly your jeep is way beyond the reach of almost everyone else on here.......( let alone your horses which you have posted on VLJ) just taking the jeep out for a drive some folk would take as showing off & even though i know you bought it entirely to please yourself, others will have your interpretation of us showing our watches.... that latter view won’t stop you going out for a drive though will it !

Personally, i like it when people share what they own. I’ve never felt you or anyone else is bragging or saying “i have more more money than you” even when it is plain many folk do have a lot of money to burn on this trinketry.

I enjoy living vicariously on here because i cannot afford original jackets, jeeps etc. We all enjoy interests on here that most others near us geographically do not. This place and seeing what stuff others have and feeling part of a fraternity. Do i often feel envious ? Sure, but never jealous. There’s a huge difference.

If for one instant i thought you or anyone else on here thought my show-and-tells on here was me lording it over others, i’d never post on here again. I suspect many others would feel the same.

Just my opinion, not meant to offend anyone but felt a different view to yours needed as it was after my Tudor post that you came out “swinging” so feel it was aimed at me and to also be put forward so folk don’t feel disinclined to share their loot.

After all, the whole modus operandi of this forum demands people show and tell to entertain & educate so without people doing that, there is no forum.....

Dave

I can assure you there's no offence taken Dave. My comments were not aimed at you or anyone in particular.

The point I was making, obviously poorly, is that those two kiddy watches are worth more to me than any expensive timepiece, even though neither of them function any longer.

Pax.

Pilot

Steve, I can have them repaired for you. I have an excellent very skilled watch maker ( in Germany, ex-Glasshütte Manufaktur factory worker ).

Saint-ex

Exactly what I was going to say. A mechanical watch can be repaired. If these watch are priceless for you, could be done.
Price of the watch is not matter, I do not wear watch to show something.
But as for everything, nice stuff cost more. But it's a question of priority : for what are you willing to spend your money?

The priceless watch I have is this one:

My grandfather wore it daily for over 50 years.
I made it revised a few years ago and wear it carefully sometime.

And today it's a Seiko day.

CoopDog

SARG009, discontinued.
Hard to find at a fair price. :confused:
Fortunately I purchase this one before Seiko stop the production.

Also nice with a leather strap.

View attachment 27856
SARG009, discontinued.
Hard to find at a fair price. :confused:
Fortunately I purchase this one before Seiko stop the production.

Also nice with a leather strap.

View attachment 27856

Saint-ex

Yep, follow it. ;)

In europe, hard to find under 800 euros, a friend of mine was looking for. I Paid mine 300, and price new was 450.