• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN jackets .... Eye candy for the mouton collar guy's

mulceber

Late to the party - fashionably late? ;) Here's my Gregory Sportswear G-1 that I encountered on eBay. I bought it on Burt's advice and haven't regretted it one bit. Interestingly, the Gregory Sportswears seem to have run really small. I'm normally a 40, or a 42 when wearing A-2 jackets, but this one's a 44 and fits me very trimly.
86B78F3D-C1FE-4586-A8A0-6A5CC74359A1_1_105_c.jpeg

B0684B65-54A2-4349-9102-F2CD3F311689_1_105_c.jpeg

1C27823D-EF94-4343-A15F-38B890F2617E_1_105_c.jpeg

13E065B8-AC74-403D-AB4D-9AEC1ABDA045_1_105_c.jpeg

324CD0C3-D529-49ED-82D1-E7A8D5EC6E07_1_105_c.jpeg

johnwayne

Have said here before that the WWII connection always drew me towards an M422/a but getting a good one in a larger size 44” at a fair price prove nigh on impossible especially relying on just pics etc so i ended up many years ago going for a ‘57 Cagleco from someone here (?) but cant recall how much I paid. However, upon arrival from SoCal to London town I was so pleased, perfect fit great mouton etc etc, then low and behold another member here who lives local to me offered me another ‘57 Cagleco in even better nick hence I now have 2 and sold my Aero M422a as a result! As nice as it was, it was a tad thick and stiff leather by comparison which Ken at Aero did admit was an issue on some. No disrespect to any of the repro makers but if you can find a good early original go for it, a quite different feel to an A2 of course, particularly if you like your jacket to sit high on the waist, as they should, so no good with hipster type denims!!

Flightengineer

G-1s from 50s are interesting for their great nice leather, but usually has too wide shoulders with trim torso of they V silhouette and led me to the fact that for me ideal cut and fit are G-1s from 60s, namely the C and D series (while the fur still was real fur and leather was goatskin not cow).

Lorenzo_l

Many thanks for helping put "Vintage" back into VLJ, Burt. This is a great thread. The G-1 is such a beautiful and versatile jacket.

Here is an original C-series mid-1960s J-7823 G-1. Coincidentally, I am almost sure that this is the same jacket in the first picture in Brett's post above. In fact, I got the jacket from him!:

Fr1.jpg

The jacket's hide is in immaculate condition and incredible supple (many thanks, Brett, you don't know how much I enjoy this jacket!). Notice how the jacket does not have the rib & rack waistband.

The all-important label:

Lb1.jpg

And here is an original 1950s Pritzker & Sons J-7823, which I also got from a member of this forum. Unfortunately, the jacket is still in the US and I actually don't have it yet in my possession:

P1050162.JPG

The label:

P1050168.JPG

A few details:

P1050170.JPG

P1050158.JPG

Lorenzo_l

Lorenzo, it's amazing Star. Hope Pritzker will fit you. I think sometime to sell my Foster in size 40 due trim torso.

Thanks, Dmitry. The Star is such a great jacket. Fits like a glove and it is so light and easy to wear. I hope the P&S fits too, although I have been told it is a different fit, as you mention in your post. If it does not fit, I'll move it on.
And btw I'd advise against selling that Foster, it is such a looker! but if you ever do, please contact me first!

B-Man2

Thanks, Dmitry. The Star is such a great jacket. Fits like a glove and it is so light and easy to wear. I hope the P&S fits too, although I have been told it is a different fit, as you mention in your post. If it does not fit, I'll move it on.
And btw I'd advise against selling that Foster, it is such a looker! but if you ever do, please contact me first!
Lorenzo, it's amazing Star. Hope Pritzker will fit you. I think sometime to sell my Foster in size 40 due trim torso.
Hey guys
Thanks for posting these great jackets . I just have a couple of comments :
First off
Lorenzo !! Where the hell have you been hiding buddy ?? Those jackets are outstanding :)
If you’ve posted them before, I must have missed them because they look awesome .
Thanks for posting them.
Dmitry: If you can hold on to your Foster , you may want to consider doing that . I think that these jackets are only going to go up in value in the next few years . The Vietnam era G-1s are becoming more difficult to find every year. They are getting bought up and going to various countries and collectors and are drying up . As this happens prices will rise. Just my opinion of course, but well founded considering how difficult it’s become to find the vintage G-1 jackets .

Flightengineer

Yes, you're probably right. 5-7 years ago, jackets from the 50s were not such a rarity, but now it is difficult to buy even the late 60s in good condition. Probably I have a habit of structuring everything, keeping only what really fits perfectly and what I need. This Foster is the sweet piece of aviation histrory, named and I know guys who flew with pilot who owned this G1, also its in incredible nice condition so if I'll deside to let it go I'll not sell it for low price.