• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN jackets .... Eye candy for the mouton collar guy's

galvestonokie

Here's another. this is a California Sportswear MIL-J-7823 (AER) from about 1947. i believe the cuffs have been replaced and there was some residual white paint on one sleeve. all in all, a great jacket.
DSC03616.JPG
DSC03614.JPG
DSC03620.JPG
DSC03622.JPG

galvestonokie

this one is maybe not so rare but has an interesting provenance. it is a Ralph Edwards 7823 B (WEP) in size 46. The jacket's provenance is to Major Edgar Pitman, USMC. He was an enlisted USMC aviator during WWII, was commissioned and later served in Korea and Vietnam. He also spent some time in Antarctica. Note the fading of the collar, i assumed by sunlight. The Chinese coin on the zipper pull indicates service on the Asian continent. the jacket, as far as i can tell, was never patched but Pitman's name tag was in the inside map pocket and there is ghosting where the name tag was attached on the left breast. this was my daily wearer for a few years but it is now retired.
front.JPG
label.JPG
pitman grave marker.jpg
collar (2).JPG
new 005.JPG

B-Man2

You had a couple of rare birds in that H&L and the California Sports wear jackets . Did you sell both of them ? If you did and you’re sorry and wish you had them back..........
Join us all here....:D:D:D

B-Man2

I have two original jackets/coats (G-1 & N-3B) I wear all the time... both have spots of white paint on a sleeve. I've seen this on other originals.

What the heck? Did all the vets come home and wear their FJs to whitewash the fences? :oops:;)
Ya know I have an original A2 with a small area of over spray white paint ... That’s an interesting question . Seems a lot of vets liked to wear their bring back jackets when doing all sorts of paint work .... go figure ...

Chandler

Ya know I have an original A2 with a small area of over spray white paint ... That’s an interesting question . Seems a lot of vets liked to wear their bring back jackets when doing all sorts of paint work .... go figure ...
See! That's what I'm saying! ;)

galvestonokie

Regarding white paint on sleeves: some probably came from painting the garage after service, but the USMC and Navy had folks doing a lot of painting. The Marines even painted some rocks white and used them for borders around plantings of ice plants (MCRD San Diego).

Chandler

Regarding white paint on sleeves: some probably came from painting the garage after service, but the USMC and Navy had folks doing a lot of painting. The Marines even painted some rocks white and used them for borders around plantings of ice plants (MCRD San Diego).
Didn't the navy (and marines by proxy) have a regulation that the G-1 could only be worn back & forth from base and on the flightline?

I used to work near a navy base and when I went out for lunch in my G-1 I often got sideways looks. ;)

galvestonokie

yes, i think that reg was around for a while with flight crews taking their jackets off going through the gate. it later was rescinded, perhaps by John Lehman as SecNav and a former A-6 pilot. of course, during my time (1966-70) a lot of us wore blue jeans off base, against regulations. much harder to see the jeans!

MaydayWei

@Brettafett, I found this. Was wondering what happened, Did you successfully clean your G-1?
I am thinking of cleaning the '68 Brill Bros I have incoming and would love to hear your experiences on the matter.
Also, in case anyone might need a 'safe way' to clean a mouton collar:

Us mouton collar guys have to look out for each others'... er... mouton collars.

Flightengineer

Us mouton collar guys have to look out for each others'... er... mouton collars.

I washed mouton on mine Brill after got heavy rain, all is OK but there are nuances

Silver Surfer

I had to decide whether to post this here or in the "wear or not to wear thread", as this one has been my go to wearer original g-1 for many years. it is a 1951 [first star g-1 contract] star, and as can be seen in super condition in and out. when the jacket came to me some 20 years ago, I thought that the knit elements were replaced, but nope,,they are original. I have see a few original g-1s with the red russet knits in the past, but this one is the only one with the red russet knits that I have ever had in hand. by the looks of it, I have determined that the knits were originally brown, and faded to the reddish color, due to a dying glitch when they were made. the coin attached to the puller came as seen. I would say that the jacket is slightly heavier than my other g-1s.
IMG_3822.jpg