• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USN jackets .... Eye candy for the mouton collar guy's

johnwayne

I think Flightengineer ought to retract his comment re 50’s G1’s V silhouette now MaydayWei posted that ‘67 Star, that a real V shape! .
Must admit my personal preference of an A2 is often compromised when nice M422/G1’s get posted but I ‘think’ I prefer the the former yet probably had more compliments wearing the latter, mostly good but often jokey ’arms out’ and airplane noises!!!

Smithy

Thanks, its Mia - my granddaughter :)

4fc9d2534ab9.jpg

Easily the best "selfie" pick on here in yonks. Nice one Dmitry!

917_k

Great thread Burt, and wonderful contributions from everyone else!

The G-1 is my favourite leather flight jacket, so this is right up my street. I previously did a thread on some of the jackets in my collection:

As it happens I’ve just acquired my 7th & 8th G-1s, so this is a great excuse to show them off. First up is a Ralph Edwards 1962 dated 7823B, which is generally regarded as being the rarest of the 7823 series.

92F9CC1C-45E6-4998-B28C-1158C5D09A86.jpeg

And my 8th G-1 is a 1958 L W Foster Sportswear 7823(AER). Sadly it’s a size 36, so doesn’t fit me and the zipper is broken, but it was too good to pass up being listed on eBay as ‘vintage brown leather flight jacket’, so not a lot of money was paid:

AB88DCB1-39D6-4FD8-AE33-25C69A3E8740.jpeg

The mouton has started to rot a bit as well, so I’ll probably get this repaired when I can as the leather is still in good condition.

MaydayWei

Great thread Burt, and wonderful contributions from everyone else!

The G-1 is my favourite leather flight jacket, so this is right up my street. I previously did a thread on some of the jackets in my collection:

As it happens I’ve just acquired my 7th & 8th G-1s, so this is a great excuse to show them off. First up is a Ralph Edwards 1962 dated 7823B, which is generally regarded as being the rarest of the 7823 series.

View attachment 53942

And my 8th G-1 is a 1958 L W Foster Sportswear 7823(AER). Sadly it’s a size 36, so doesn’t fit me and the zipper is broken, but it was too good to pass up being listed on eBay as ‘vintage brown leather flight jacket’, so not a lot of money was paid:

View attachment 53943

The mouton has started to rot a bit as well, so I’ll probably get this repaired when I can as the leather is still in good condition.

7th and 8th? Good god, are you opening a museum? ;)
Lovely jackets, thanks for sharing.
I echo the sentiments above, its getting harder and harder to see let alone acquire these 50s and early 60s G-1s in wearable nick that aren't slowly dying from the cursed red-rot. In short, thanks for letting us have a peek.

B-Man2

You guys are putting up some great looking original G-1s and earlier jackets . I know I’m repeating myself but at the prices some of these are going for these days , why pay out the Wazzoo for a repro, when you can have an original for less money ?? Unless you can’t find one in you size or length .

Flightengineer

Have the cuffs, hem & mouton all been renewed..?

1956 Foster - replaced mouton only (due moth damage) for a specially selected vintage muton of the same color, I already published a photo somewhere here.
Otherwise, everything is original on this jacket and knitting in an excellent shape without any flaws.

7725b0bc19c4.jpg

The 1968 jacket is completely original.

B-Man2

1956 Foster - replaced mouton only (due moth damage) for a specially selected vintage muton of the same color, I already published a photo somewhere here.
Otherwise, everything is original on this jacket and knitting in an excellent shape without any flaws.

7725b0bc19c4.jpg

That’s a great looking Foster . I would definitely hang on to that one .

MaydayWei

7725b0bc19c4.jpg

Really loving the patches, mate; good looking without the Top Gun 'overdone it' look.