• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tweed A-2

omarco

I think its kind of cool, Harris Tweed is a fantastically robust and warm material too. Mallory climbed Everest in Harris Tweed so its certainly up to the job.

That said, you wouldn't catch me in one :D

Metatron

What is so awful about it?

I really like wool bomber jackets:
3551418459_ba958d8852.jpg

I think you guys have put the A2 on a pedestal. :lol:

Roughwear

Metatron said:

I agree we have, because that is where they belong. The tweed A2 is not to my taste, but if you like it that's fine by me.

rich

omarco said:
I think its kind of cool, Harris Tweed is a fantastically robust and warm material too. Mallory climbed Everest in Harris Tweed so its certainly up to the job.

Err, didn't Mallory die doing this? (his brother was Leigh-Mallory, boss of 12 Group in the Battle of Britain, and shameless intruiger against the great Keith Park - sorry, had to get that in!)

RCSignals

Metatron said:

That looks more of Battle dress blouse than A2 jacket :)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

At first I couldn't work out what he was doing, it appeared as if he was about to fire a flare into his face ... finally I realised he was just blow waving his hair.

John Lever

rich said:
omarco said:

Err, didn't Mallory die doing this? (his brother was Leigh-Mallory, boss of 12 Group in the Battle of Britain, and shameless intruiger against the great Keith Park - sorry, had to get that in!)
New evidence suggests that he died on the decent, but it was a long time ago !

I am sure Jeff has an opinion ...

Tim P

I don't care for it myself but I applaud the thought process that went into it and I am willing to bet that in the early postwar period, something remarkably like it would have been available commercially.

I would take one over a blousey tan cotton one with a leather collar.

omarco

rich said:
omarco said:

This is true, but as John says, new evidence suggests that he was on his way down not on his way up :) They found his body frozen in ice a few years ago, his Harris Tweed jacket still intact! I have a repro made by Nigel Cabourne. Lovely jacket and lovely fabric.. it doesn't seem all that great a leap to me to apply it to an A2 (or any period hard use garment)

Ian C

John Lever said:
rich said:
omarco said:

New evidence suggests that he died on the decent, but it was a long time ago !

I am sure Jeff has an opinion ...

Didn't Mallory do a lot of climing naked? I'm sure I've seen a photograph of him wearing nothing but a rucksack.

Members online

Latest posts