• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Gun

A

Anonymous

!ByFcsYgEWk~$(KGrHqMOKjEEwWTsZpE0BMQQIPLwr!~~_3.JPG

I suppose Cockpit has done a good job here? (or hasn't done bad)

What do you think?

269sqnhudson

PLATON said:
!ByFcsYgEWk~$(KGrHqMOKjEEwWTsZpE0BMQQIPLwr!~~_3.JPG

I suppose Cockpit has done a good job here? (or hasn't done bad)

What do you think?

Do you honestly anticipate any positive opinions? I'm not sure what's motivating you here. You currently manufacture repro A2s and I assume want members to have faith in your eye for detail and you're asking what people think of an 'Avirex' Top Gun G-1????

442RCT

Platon, The posters here seem to prefer unpatched G-1s :roll:
One of them said this jacket was overpatched :p
365762380.jpg

365762391.jpg

DSCF0053-1.jpg

Patches and paintjobs on jackets are one of those personal preference things, some like'm, some don't. Some want to do a copy of their dad's or of an original, or one they've seen in a book or on a website. :mrgreen:

Here's a website that has pics of patched Navy flight jackets. NavyGear4U
It's in Japanese, so I'm not sure if they're selling patched jackets or patches to put on the jackets, or both.
http://homepage.mac.com/ironclaw/jacket/

airfrogusmc

I know the patches on the jacket in the movie didn't seem right but I served with old salts that had served in Korea and Nam (USMC) and almost every square inch of the G-1s were patched and it was a pretty complete record of their service. One guy even had two matching symmetrical embroidered dragons on each sleeve almost like tattoos. My old jacket had all my squadrons my wings and my duty stations sewed on.

RCSignals

airfrogusmc said:
I know the patches on the jacket in the movie didn't seem right but I served with old salts that had served in Korea and Nam (USMC) and almost every square inch of the G-1s were patched and it was a pretty complete record of their service. One guy even had two matching symmetrical embroidered dragons on each sleeve almost like tattoos. My old jacket had all my squadrons my wings and my duty stations sewed on.

and of course that is what the movie jacket was supposed to represent, his fathers service jacket.
The movie was popular and the jacket is popular, so 'reproductions' of it are a natural outcome.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing one of the reproductions, even though there seems to be many of them 'out there'

Marv

RCSignals said:
airfrogusmc said:

and of course that is what the movie jacket was supposed to represent, his fathers service jacket.
The movie was popular and the jacket is popular, so 'reproductions' of it are a natural outcome.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing one of the reproductions, even though there seems to be many of them 'out there'

I agree neither have I, to be honest I don't think I have ever seen anybody wearing and A2 or a G1 in the street (only at airshows).....I have seen somebody wearing an Indy jacket at the same time I was wearing mine, we gave each other an awkward glance then went on our seperate way but that's about it.

A

Anonymous

Do you honestly anticipate any positive opinions? I'm not sure what's motivating you here. You currently manufacture repro A2s and I assume want members to have faith in your eye for detail and you're asking what people think of an 'Avirex' Top Gun G-1????

I look at the top gun jacket only as a souvenir from the 1980s which for me was a great decade. I have a certain nostalgia for that decade and the top gun film and jacket brings back great memories.

I didn't compare the quality or details of the avirex jacket to any of the usual jackets we talk about around here and never meant to. This also has nothing to do with my repro A-2s. No comparisons. That's why I didn't eveb mention its ridiculous $850 price

What I meant is that this Avirex jacket is better than any previous attempts made by others (if you look on Ebay) including Avirex's to replicate this jacket. That's all.

...I have seen somebody wearing an Indy jacket at the same time I was wearing mine, we gave each other an awkward glance then went on our seperate way but that's about it.

haha

and no I am not going to reproduce the top gun jacket.