• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Gun

HackerF15E

Let's not forget that it was a groundbreaking movie at the time it came out. It's easy to look at it now with 25 years of pop culture history behind us and find it cheesy, inaccurate, stupid, etc....but at the time, it was eye-popping (in a good way).

It was influential on my decision to go after a career as a military pilot...

A

Anonymous

Would you guys wear a jacket like this?
With all those patches?

RCSignals

PLATON said:
Would you guys wear a jacket like this?
With all those patches?

Many show up on eBay, but don't seem to sell too quickly. Oddly enough some 'top gun' jackets that were in colours, such as yellow, Blue and Red, did sell.

A

Anonymous

The ones on ebay that I have seen are crappy.
I am talking about getting the right patches (per film) and sewing them on a good original.

Would you do it?
not from the point of view of ruining the original, but from the point of wearing it out and not being laughed at

Andrew

PLATON said:
The ones on ebay that I have seen are crappy.
I am talking about getting the right patches (per film) and sewing them on a good original.

Would you do it?
not from the point of view of ruining the original, but from the point of wearing it out and not being laughed at
I suspect you'd end up doing both.
A. Ruin the jacket and
B. Get laughed at.

Btw, do you still need those RW dimensions?

rich

HackerF15E said:
Let's not forget that it was a groundbreaking movie at the time it came out. It's easy to look at it now with 25 years of pop culture history behind us and find it cheesy, inaccurate, stupid, etc....but at the time, it was eye-popping (in a good way).

It was influential on my decision to go after a career as a military pilot...

I'm not surprised, the air to air/carrier sequences were stunning on a big screen. But IMO the Hunters has far better jackets and Kelly McGillis comes a very poor second to May Britt!

airfrogusmc

I never felt comfortable wearing my patched G-1 in the civilian world and I rated wearing it. When I was in your flight jacket could be a record of the squadrons a pilot or crew member had served in. So it was like a wearable military history of the wearer. I wore my patched G-1 several times after i got out (years ago) but always felt a bit uncomfortable and partially because of that stupid movie. Also wasn't that supposed to be his fathers jacket? And weren't there both Navy and Marine Corps patches on the on in the movie?

marco77

The "stupid guy" that make the jacket for Tom Cruise have mixed usmc and usn patches !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaguar46

Anyone that wanted to hit the road, and crunch the gears on a Sunday sunny morning, top down, with no cars on the road, had to have this playing

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rZWw9HE7o[/video]

jnlight75

For a more "leather" themed video from the movie, I present this. I wouldn't recommend watching the whole thing, just long enough to witness the guitar player. At least the pants appear to be some leather-related material...

http://youtu.be/zCTJmXrgsFg

Sorry, can't figure out how to embed it like the last post.

Monsoon

airfrogusmc said:
When I was in your flight jacket could be a record of the squadrons a pilot or crew member had served in. So it was like a wearable military history of the wearer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was allowed in the Navy at one time, right? Multiple patches on a flight jacket? I heard that it was changed recently and it's unauthorized now?

And I agree, Top Gun screwed that up for the Navy. Sure, it got them a ton of recruits, but nowadays, if aircrew wear a jacket like that, they are gonna get razzed to hell and back.

In the AF, we can only have our MAJCOM patch on our jackets. We save former squadron patches for our helmet bags. And as you said, it's like a mobile record of units we flew with.

airfrogusmc

Monsoon said:
airfrogusmc said:
When I was in your flight jacket could be a record of the squadrons a pilot or crew member had served in. So it was like a wearable military history of the wearer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was allowed in the Navy at one time, right? Multiple patches on a flight jacket? I heard that it was changed recently and it's unauthorized now?

And I agree, Top Gun screwed that up for the Navy. Sure, it got them a ton of recruits, but nowadays, if aircrew wear a jacket like that, they are gonna get razzed to hell and back.

In the AF, we can only have our MAJCOM patch on our jackets. We save former squadron patches for our helmet bags. And as you said, it's like a mobile record of units we flew with.

Don't know about the Navy but it was common practice in the Marines when I was in 73-77. We couldn't where or jackets or any flight gear out in town but anywhere on base was cool. Like I said it showed your history of where you were stationed and which squadrons that you were in.
I was a CH-46 crew chief.

airfrogusmc

airfrogusmc said:
Monsoon said:
airfrogusmc said:

Don't know about the Navy but it was common practice in the Marines when I was in 73-77. We couldn't where or jackets or any flight gear out in town but anywhere on base was cool. Like I said it showed your history of where you were stationed and which squadrons that you were in.
I was a CH-46 crew chief.

Also wanted to add you could see right away who the old salts were and also the newbies.

HHjackets

jnlight75 said:
For a more "leather" themed video from the movie, I present this. I wouldn't recommend watching the whole thing, just long enough to witness the guitar player. At least the pants appear to be some leather-related material...

the guitar player is Steve Stevens, Billy Idol's guitarist (he played Hamer guitars back then and that guitar is the Steve Stevens II model).

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCTJmXrgsFg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

airfrogusmc

HHjackets said:
jnlight75 said:

the guitar player is Steve Stevens, Billy Idol's guitarist (he played Hamer guitars back then and that guitar is the Steve Stevens II model).

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCTJmXrgsFg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I know Paul Hamer btw great guy with some great rock & roll stories.