• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Gun

A

Anonymous

tom-cruise-in-top-gun-wearing-a-brown-leather-jacket.jpg

Anyone knows what exactly is the pin on his left pocket flap?

A

Anonymous

How can an officer wear the patch of a petty officer?
didn't those guys who make the movie know any better?

CBI

the patches on this jacket have not been researched out as is the case with most Hollywood efforts.

dmar836

It's a movie that almost turned me off of motorcycles, airplanes, leather jackets, and pretty women................. almost.

It did, among other antics, turn me off of Tom Cruise forever.

JMO,
Dave

vesicant

I didn't know until Top Gun that astrophysics has anything to do with aircraft, and I took astronomy at UC Berkeley.

MikeyB-17

My wife likes it. It is, of course, utter and total piffle. What really annoys me about that film, though, is that every single time there is any reference in the tabloid press to jet pilots of any nationality, they are inevitably referred to as 'Top Guns'.

johnwayne

C,mon guys it aint that bad - at the time it was good clean gung ho stuff, yea it has it faults but that's just Hollywood for you. Flying sequences were good and we'd have all liked to have been in TC shoes wouldn't we? Must say I was very disappointed the find out Kelly McGillis now bats for the other side!!!

cheers
Wayne

Persimmon

johnwayne said:
C,mon guys it aint that bad - at the time it was good clean gung ho stuff, yea it has it faults but that's just Hollywood for you. Flying sequences were good and we'd have all liked to have been in TC shoes wouldn't we? Must say I was very disappointed the find out Kelly McGillis now bats for the other side!!!

cheers
Wayne

Wayne
I think her best days have long gone but
Kelly McGillis in "Witness".
Wow !!

jschare

I was a NFO in the Navy shortly after this movie came out and I don't remember the Navy being like that! However, I was on an A-6E and not a F-14 so maybe it was that way for the fighter jocks... :D

RCSignals

johnwayne said:

cheers
Wayne

If you watch it as pure entertainment (which it is) and don't think of it as or expect a 'documentary', it is not that bad.