• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ones that got away

John Lever

RCSignals said:
Metatron said:
I had automatically assumed that 'LW' standed for Luftwaffe in this post.

That may very well be Luftwaffe. I was thinking maker. I've never seen anything like it from Lost worlds but doesn't mean they may not have made a limited number.
Someone in Germany had a small batch made as a special order, this is one of them. It went to New Zealand.

Metatron

Ah thanks for the reply mr Lever.
I'd like to have some kind of accurate repro made, in absence of an original.

I was hoping, what with your wide experience with historical leather garments, that you'd know what leather was used on the original outer shells and collars? I'm assuming it is goatskin and velour? The only thing that seems strange to me is that in photos the 'velour' seems to have a furry texture, as if it is some kind of artificial fur.

There are two main versions, one seems to have a much smoother texture and looks stiffer. I don't know if it's a different dyeing process.
I am of course only going off what I have seen on the internet! Naturally, it's hard to see details like these in period photos:

U-098a.jpg

677_d.jpg

Could this benefit from being a seperate thread? :|