• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ones that got away

Peter Graham

Are there any great jackets that you missed out on in ebay auctions or anywhere else that still come back to haunt you ? I've missed many but three that I particularly continue to kick myself over are a beautiful original squadron patched D-1 that was on ebay about five years ago. I was ready to snipe it when my computer crashed just before the auction ended. I didn't know about automated sniping back then. The second was a rare B-6 with an Aero civilian label. I didn't even bother to bid as I thought it would go too high. It sold for just over £200. Lastly was a mint B-15a that was finishing around the same time as a B-10 I was watching. I couldn't afford to bid on both. It went really cheaply but at least I got the B-10. I still lose sleep over those jackets. Anyone know the feeling ? :(

asiamiles

I remember one week on Yahoo I discovered one seller (new to me) offering an Eastman Buco and a couple of Japanese 2-tone cafe racers and I flaked on all them at around the ¥14,000 mark...and that was when $14,000 was about $125 or £75! I did buy the same seller's ELC Luftwaffe jacket for around the same price on the same day, so I can't complain too much (neither of the Eastman's were id'd as such, the labels fooling the seller and seemingly other potential bidders), but what a haul I could have had.

More recently, not going for the ¥50,000 BIN on a RM J-100 with white leather zipper surroundings, not bidding more than ¥48,000 on a Buzz B-2 because I already had one, and not buying a Buzz WG A-1 for just less than ¥80,000 (okay, that wasn't exactly a bargain but...). And my partner-in-crime failing to contact the seller of an Indian UK style Motorcyle jacket within 3 days and having the bid cancelled* after I won it for just ¥4,000.

(*While a lot of Yahoo sellers are helpful and very accommodating, a surprisingly large number have a much less welcome attitude that while not exclusive to the Japanese does seem to be a character trait. They act as if they are doing you a really big favour by just selling to you.)

TankBuster

I have had many, but 2 that I still think about. One was a B-11 Parka that was on Ebay along with a B-15A. Both were mint and a large size. I won the B-15A. I then started bidding on the B-11. Apparently a guy was not happy about losing out on the B-15A, and kept upping the bid. I finally quit, and let him have it. The next week, I ended up buying the rest of a large grouping from this same pilot that included his A-2, and way too much more to list. I had simply asked the seller of the B-15A if he had any info on the original owner. It turned into the largest group of items to one man I have ever seen. Photo albums, paperwok, all flight gear, ect.....
Needless to say, I really wish I had won the B-11 to keep the whole group together. I guess I really can't complain since it is the only item I lost out on.

Sz42 B-15A /Size46 Aero A-2

001-4.jpg

006-6.jpg

001-18.jpg

026-1.jpg

001-15.jpg

The second is a A-2 grouping that belonged to a P-38 fighter pilot in the 82nd fighter group. JC (ContrailsChaser) ended up with it for well below its' value. My computer froze up in the last few seconds, and I was unable to bid. I have a few groups from the 82nd, and I really wish I would have gotten this one! :(

John Lever

The LW Jet Jacket that sold the week I found it. Other repros have sold for £700 on ebay. This one sold for only £345.

M4548_Replica_Luftwaffe_jet_flying_.jpg

MikeyB-17

I've missed out on a few over the years, and been mightily p*ssed off at the time, but I can't think of a single specific example now, so the pain soon fades-usually because a better one soon comes along!

johnwayne

Hey Tankbuster
where did you get the shirt that's with that beautiful Aero A2?
Looks identical to one I've just picked up at a local market - £20 and fit's perfect. The label in mine says official USMC supplier and all that's wrong is slight cuff wear and a missing neck button that I'm trying to source a similar one for. I intend posting a pic with other bits when I get my head around how to to do it (yep, I've had lots of advice but time is not on my side right now)!

As to ones that got away, loads - one in particular that I missed was an Aero civilian A2 off the same guy I bought the above shirt from. I don't think he really knew too much other than it was 'vintage' jacket but at £150 it was a tad too small for me and strapped for cash at the time I hestitated - needless to say it had gone by the time I changed my mind - poss worth twice that at minimum on the 'bay!!!!

Cheers
Wayne

TankBuster

Wayne,
The shirt came with the group of items from this officer. It's a standard pink officers shirt. Here's some of the shirts/pants/ties that also came with this. When I said it's a huge group, I'm not exagerrating! All equivalent to a modern size 44.

005-16.jpg

008-13.jpg

015-8.jpg

usafwso

I have missed a few great items over the years on ebay. Fortunately identical items or perhaps items even in better shape. So, if you miss something today, another will come up for auction again.

Tokyo Jones

What is that? I've never seen anything much like it.

John Lever said:
The LW Jet Jacket that sold the week I found it. Other repros have sold for £700 on ebay. This one sold for only £345.

Andrew

I'm with Mikey, I can either thank early onset Altzheimers for not remembering the ones that got away or I've found something better. Come to think of it I had many more years of practising the second philosophy with females until I found my lovely Wife...

greyhound52

I missed on the same Doniger jacket twice got outbid at the last moment. Interesting thing is I ended up getting it from John Chapman cause it didn't fit him. Same jacket wow talk about karma.

Curahee

There is one jacket (wich I posted on the vintage secetion) a NOS 1964 Ralph Edwards from
Contrailchaser. I stopped bidding after $ 625 I believe as I was also bidding on another jacket.

atkins

Peter, i can't imagine how frustrating it must have been. I must say the last frustrating experience was losing a nice Gibson and Barnes Mk43 with a patch and grainy horsehide because the seller decided to end the listing early.

Metatron

John Lever said:

I apologize for bringing this old thread back to life, but being a bit 'jet jacket' aficionado, I had to ask:
Who was this repro made by?

I was only aware of the noblehouse(which I own) and original fliegerjacke versions, both of which have taken some artistic liberties. (For example the originals had velour collars-not manly enough for a modern repro?? :lol:)

asiamiles

No offence intended, but I think that Jet Jacket is pretty ugly looking. The basic design is not aesthetically pleasing and the fur collar (something I normally admire) is pretty horrible too.

A

Anonymous

woman.jpg
This one got away, saw me coming and ran like hell, tried to catch up, but she ran like her life depended on it.

Metatron

I had automatically assumed that 'LW' standed for Luftwaffe in this post.

asiamiles, to each his own, I appreciate the uniqueness of the design and the tailored fit. I also like the strange combination of a 'cafe-racer' like closure and the large fur collar. I say fur, but the originals were apparently velour.

RCSignals

Metatron said:
I had automatically assumed that 'LW' standed for Luftwaffe in this post.

That may very well be Luftwaffe. I was thinking maker. I've never seen anything like it from Lost worlds but doesn't mean they may not have made a limited number.

nogbat

dont let that girl have my mobile no .. she,s a pest i couldnt get rid of her the last time . :lol: :lol: :lol: