• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The last to succumb...

havocpaul

As a long-time supporter and 'fan' of Eastman jackets I unfortunately have to declare that as far as the images show it just doesn't look right, almost like cardboard (!), I hope I'm wrong and it looks better in the flesh; it pains me to say this, but I have to be honest in my opinion. Looks like the whole range is aiming at the 'worn' look, I guess there's the demand out there (Japan perhaps?) but from what I've been reading recently many are missing those early jackets especially the Irvins and B-3's.

John Lever

You know Paul I think they might just have nailed it with this one. The broken grain is shiny that's what makes the difference I think. I agree it does look like cardboard but strangely I like it.

Hawkeye

So John I take it its not the crinkly aspect itself you dislike about ELC sheepskins, but the dull finish alone?

John Lever

Hawkeye said:
So John I take it its not the crinkly aspect itself you dislike about ELC sheepskins, but the dull finish alone?
I like the paper look but it's too dull. The gloss brings it to life, I like this but obviously that's just my personal opinion. When I see a sample I can say for sure.
I wonder what the RAF will look like ?
I hope they dump the Crown zip, it's horrible.

Roughwear

I'm not fan of this finish on the RW B3. It just does not look like any original redskins I have owned. The sheepskin seems to be too thin and fragile looking, but this might not be the case when I get a chance to look at the real thing later in the year at Duxford. The Crown zip is wrong for this early contract and a Talon is likely to be more robust.

John Lever

deeb7 said:
John Lever said:
... When I see a sample I can say for sure.

Good plan ... don't go buying one just to take a closer look. ;)
Ah ! you know me so well. I might go up to American Classics at some point.
The price is creeping up though. If the £ weren't so sick, this would be McCoys territory, no contest.

shiloh

Nice "paper" jacket. I don't know what they are after at ELC but IMO the older versions of all ELC shearlings did look far better than the new "broken grain" jackets. Just looked in my Golden Book and those were the days. From the photo on the ELC website it looks like people end up with a "broken" jacket.

I hope they won't spoil the 1942 Irvin with it.

regards,

shiloh

m444uk

You can find originals with a moderate cardboard look. Check out the back of this RW I used to own which was robust and made of thick skin.
In places the finish is really just a thin wash. In other parts you can see the pigment in suspension with varnish.
The new ELC looks a bit plastic to me, the danger of a gloss finish ! Better to have a satin finish, which to be fair it may have. Hard to tell with photos.

0037.jpg

0028.jpg

0017.jpg

0013.jpg

0018.jpg

0020.jpg

0024.jpg

Roughwear

Now this is more like it. A decent original with the vintage patina impossible to replicate by any manufacturer today. Crown puller on a Talon track-interesting! ;)

Falcon_52

Boy, I hope I got in on the old jacket. I ordered one from Eastman around Jan. 13th because I was scared as hell that they were going to do something like this. The broken grain sheepskin just looks soooo thin and fragile to me. I'm afraid that I would tear the sleeve on a tree branch or something (I'm kind of hard on my jackets - not like Bevan though).

I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Noel

Hawkeye

Falcon_52 said:
Boy, I hope I got in on the old jacket. I ordered one from Eastman around Jan. 13th because I was scared as hell that they were going to do something like this. The broken grain sheepskin just looks soooo thin and fragile to me. I'm afraid that I would tear the sleeve on a tree branch or something (I'm kind of hard on my jackets - not like Bevan though).

I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Noel

I wouldnt be worried, Jan 13th seems early enough and besides, I dont think they would make and send you a jacket with features that were not advertised at the time of sale.

John Lever

I asked for a sample. The skin is SHINY not like old dead brown paper, but full of life and colour. It has wrinkles that look like naturally worn leather.
I would say it's an improvement.

Falcon_52

I contacted Gary about my jacket. He said that the "broken grain" is now the only skin available for the RW B-3 and mine will be made from this as well.

I think John is right. The photos on the website don't look as dull and lifeless as the other broken grain jackets. Maybe they got it right on this one. It should be here in the near future so I'll see what it's like in the flesh (no pun intended).

Noel

John Lever

I think I might have just ordered one ...
I have the sample in the wash just to see how it fares with some wear.

Aerosquad

Within a year of buying my ELC B3 it started to crack, flake,graze, peal, whatever you want to call it. My Aero B6 Redskin was worse, it developed bald patches after a few months. Both manufacturers response to these conditions was of course "thats they way the originals were !" If thats the case, why are they going to lengths to make them look worn ?
The B3 is now 10 years old and can only be worn with jeans because the sheepskin part looks like it is 60 years old and the horshide is barley broken in. As an engineer I used to like to wear it with khakis or dress pants to work but got tired of having an expensive flight jacket referred to as 'an old jacket'. Broken in is one thing, but worn down is another.

With all the expensive advertising, web pictures and glossy catalogs, why dont any of the high end manufacturers tell there potential buyers that "thats they way the originals were !"
before they buy ?

havocpaul

If this jacket turns out to be a good one then I'll happily and with some relief stand corrected, but then I would suggest they alter the pictures on the site as it really does look 'dry' and papery (or do I blame this HD screen on my laptop?).

John Lever

havocpaul said:
If this jacket turns out to be a good one then I'll happily and with some relief stand corrected, but then I would suggest they alter the pictures on the site as it really does look 'dry' and papery (or do I blame this HD screen on my laptop?).

Paul, this one is not dry. The finish is definitely glossy.