• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"the great escape" kit

Chandler

johnwayne said:
Sorry to our US friends, this isn't Yank bashing, but us Brits will never buy that much like U571 where you claim to have captured Enigma - our Navy boys did that - you can't change the history so don't deny us our glory, please!!

For what it's worth, and I hope you realize I'm not the only one on this side of the pond who feels this way, but I never really understood that about that movie. Oh well, at least Jon Bonjovi bought it in the first reel! :D

Alas, it's only fiction.

Chandler

Chandler

I was thinking about the discussion on this thread last night, which led to me thinking back on the movie (that I've seen dozens of times since I was a boy) and as much clamor (well-deserved or otherwise) that's made over Steve McQueen's starring role in the film, it's real strength is its ensemble cast and the montage of stories being told -- including a majority of Brittish characters who I always enjoy watching.

I love to see well-known actors all working together in pieces like this. The best actors always reflect their performances off the performances of those around them, and it really shows in this picture. I love watching the Attenborough and Gordon Jackson scenes. David McCallum's part is so understated that it actually stands out, as does James Donald. Then there's Nigel Stock and Angus Lennie and Donald Pleasence -- not to mention all the secondary characters whose names I'd never remember, but whose performances tie the whole film together -- a majority of whom were Brits.

So yes, this was an American film with 3 US "stars," but it wasn't a star vehicle in any sense, and I think John Sturges did a great job of showing the importance of the British while bowing to the tendencies of the era that almost demanded American actors be in place in order to be successful here in the states.

I'll conclude by mentioning that McQueen and Attenborough became good friends on the set of the Sand Pebbles. Interesting, since Sir Richard was an Englishman playing an American in that film...

Chandler

johnwayne

Hey Rich
your clearly one well informed guy and I clearly need to refer to my books on the matter before making such sweeping statements! My main point was really about the distortion of the facts by Hollywood, I guess for the benefit of the US audience. It was certainly not my intention to put down any of those guys, far from it as I am genuinly in awe of them all - how could you not be, so I aqpologise if thats the way it came over!! The Tom Cruise thing was covered some time ago in one of the daily rags but in reality he does own 2 P51's so at least if the film does get made he could do some of his own flying!!!

Ultimately, be it The Great Escape or whatever I generally still really enjoy such films but just have to wince when you know it's historically wrong, although if ever I mention it, I soon get put down by the wife for being a know-all!!!

Cheers
Wayne

rich

Chandler said:
I was thinking about the discussion on this thread last night, which led to me thinking back on the movie (that I've seen dozens of times since I was a boy) and as much clamor (well-deserved or otherwise) that's made over Steve McQueen's starring role in the film, it's real strength is its ensemble cast and the montage of stories being told -- including a majority of Brittish characters who I always enjoy watching.

I love to see well-known actors all working together in pieces like this. The best actors always reflect their performances off the performances of those around them, and it really shows in this picture. I love watching the Attenborough and Gordon Jackson scenes. David McCallum's part is so understated that it actually stands out, as does James Donald. Then there's Nigel Stock and Angus Lennie and Donald Pleasence -- not to mention all the secondary characters whose names I'd never remember, but whose performances tie the whole film together -- a majority of whom were Brits.

So yes, this was an American film with 3 US "stars," but it wasn't a star vehicle in any sense, and I think John Sturges did a great job of showing the importance of the British while bowing to the tendencies of the era that almost demanded American actors be in place in order to be successful here in the states.

I'll conclude by mentioning that McQueen and Attenborough became good friends on the set of the Sand Pebbles. Interesting, since Sir Richard was an Englishman playing an American in that film...

Chandler

Donald Pleasance and Denholm Elliott were both shot down aircrew who ended up as POW's...........

rich

johnwayne said:
Hey Rich
your clearly one well informed guy and I clearly need to refer to my books on the matter before making such sweeping statements! My main point was really about the distortion of the facts by Hollywood, I guess for the benefit of the US audience. It was certainly not my intention to put down any of those guys, far from it as I am genuinly in awe of them all - how could you not be, so I aqpologise if thats the way it came over!! The Tom Cruise thing was covered some time ago in one of the daily rags but in reality he does own 2 P51's so at least if the film does get made he could do some of his own flying!!!

Ultimately, be it The Great Escape or whatever I generally still really enjoy such films but just have to wince when you know it's historically wrong, although if ever I mention it, I soon get put down by the wife for being a know-all!!!

Cheers
Wayne

Wayne, really not that well informed :( No need to apologize, accuracy over entertainment value is always going to be contentious - as this thread has shown :)

capt71

johnwayne said:
I did read sometime ago too that there was a poss film being considered about the BoB starring Tom Cruise who wins it John Wayne (the real one, not me) style on his own!! As far as I know only one US flyer flew with the RAF at that time and he only played a minor role. Oh sorry, I forgot about Ben Affleck's RAF heroics in 'Pearl Harbour'.

Sorry to our US friends, this isn't Yank bashing, but us Brits will never buy that much like U571 where you claim to have captured Enigma - our Navy boys did that - you can't change the history so don't deny us our glory, please!!

We love you all really, especially your flight jackets!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey, no need to apologize to us Yanks--I think we pretty much agree with you. To digress a little: As for Tom Cruise (YUCK, with no apologies!!!), if the film gets made, let's pray he doesn't play his "Top Gun" type character in it. When "Top Gun" came out, I had several Navy pilot friends who said every one of the Naval Aviators they knew who saw it laughed out loud (and not because of any humor in the flick) at Cruise's character's ridiculous antics in the air and on the ground. All said no Naval pilot like that would ever be tolerated or last very long. As for a possible BoB movie, we can only hope. But, then, it is Tom Cruise after all.......
Bill

Chandler

rich said:
My favourite POW film is King Rat.

Interesting tie-in here that James Clavell wrote the novel King Rat based on his experiences in a POW camp in SE Asia in WW2 -- encouraged by John Sturgis when Clavell was working on the screenplay for the Great Escape.

And James Donald, who plays the SBO in the Great Escape, was also in King Rat -- and Bridge on the River Kwai, he just couldn't stay out of prison! :D

Chandler

Aviator

My Family has a special relation to "The great escape". My Grandma went to school with Robert Graf who played Werner the weasel. They were good friends and my grandparents often met with him and his sister. He was born in Witten near Dortmund where my mother´s part of my family originally came from. Robert Graf was a great Actor and played in over 40 films for cinema and TV. Unfortunately he passed away in 1966 at the age of 42 already.
My grandma is still around and is always telling me about Robert when they show The Great Escape. I can claim I know someone who knew someone who knew Steve McQueen. :lol: ;)

RobertGraf.jpg

rich

Chandler said:
rich said:
My favourite POW film is King Rat.

Interesting tie-in here that James Clavell wrote the novel King Rat based on his experiences in a POW camp in SE Asia in WW2 -- encouraged by John Sturgis when Clavell was working on the screenplay for the Great Escape.

And James Donald, who plays the SBO in the Great Escape, was also in King Rat -- and Bridge on the River Kwai, he just couldn't stay out of prison! :D

Chandler

Serial offender!
McQueen was banged up 3 times too (maybe more?) The Getaway, Papillon, and of course the Great Escape....

johnwayne

Ah! Billy Fiske - thats the name I couldn't think of but is who Tom Cruise is rumoured to portray if ever the film gets off the ground (excuse the pun!!). I do recall the daily rag specifically stating Fiske was never really in the thick of it but in true Hollywood/comic book style, no doubt he'll be seen to win the BOB single handed!!!

Wayne

Chandler

Aviator said:
I can claim I know someone who knew someone who knew Steve McQueen. :lol: ;)

6 degrees of separation! I always liked Graf's performance in TGE, his timing and delivery were terrific. He played well against James Garner's obvious (to the viewer) cons.

Chandler

BONNIEGIRL4

Fiske was in about as thick as you could get, shot down, later died from incredible burns suffered during the combat - TOM P.S. wasn't there rumors a few years back that Cruise was going to do a Flying Tigers film ?

Dodgy

Billy Fiske was a Hurricane pilot, it would be nice to think that the movie reflects that, but one could assume that hollywood gives history a makeover and puts him in a Spit or even worse a P40 or mustang!

John Lever

Problem is that the pilots were very young, Tom Cruise would be way too old.
Recently on the news a Royal Navy vet. from D-Day described piloting a landing craft. He was 19 at the time.

A

Anonymous

Tom Criuse should be in a film called scientoligy and play L.Ron .Hubbard this would be a great success for all as it would show the world what an A hole he is because he is a big time follower along with a lot of other Hollywood icons !.

Rgds Jeff