• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The D-1 ... is it a secret !!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
I'm curious about your choice. One of the major pluses and draws of the B-6 and D-1 for me are the fact that they have pockets. Why did you go for one without pockets?

I rarely use pockets in jackets, and although I could live with them, I didn't paticularly like the zippered pockets in the standard Rough Wear.

Only the last version of the D-1 had pockets originally, and I also liked the uncluttered look. My second choice would have been one with a rigger pocket, but this way it's less like my B-3.

CBI said:
Looks good but I am pretty certain that John Chapman is going to be adding a D-1 to his line-up. Worth the wait for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion, CBI, but for me, this jacket is perfect. A perfect fit, and I don't think that the materials, or workmanship could be improved upon.

... and it's cold here now.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
I rarely use pockets in jackets, and although I could live with them, I didn't paticularly like the zippered pockets in the standard Rough Wear.

Only the last version of the D-1 had pockets originally

Even though I carry a bag with me pretty much everywhere, I still use/need jacket pockets. I think the zippered pockets look okay, though I do prefer the B-6 ones; that said, the zips prevent things falling out.

Did production of the last version of the D-1 far outnumber the earlier models, as originals seen in photos/films tend to always be those with pockets?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
Did production of the last version of the D-1 far outnumber the earlier models, as originals seen in photos/films tend to always be those with pockets?

Quite possibly, the pockets appeared during the 1942 fiscal year, but I don't know what quantities were made.

By my tally, 23 known contracts with, 18 without.

Doug C

Man deeb7, that's what I'm talkin' about the D-1 is my favorite sheerling jacket, just never thought I could use one because it hardly ever gets quite cold enough... but with the super short fleece it certainly may be an option. I'd imagine it would sort of have the look and drape of Gary Cooper's jacket in "For whom the bell tolls" (was recently discussing this at another forum). Sorry for the newby question but I don't know much about the sheerlings, could it easily be shaved down if one was to find a sheerling they liked with a thicker pile? My ideal D-1 would be just like yours but with two rigger pockets in the matching trim (russet) color. Congrat, and be sure to post the pics when you get it. ps - btw, did I miss what B-10 that is you have on in your avatar with the light colored collar?

Doug C

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Doug C said:
... could it easily be shaved down if one was to find a sheerling they liked with a thicker pile?

Thanks, Doug ... yes, you can shave down the fleece. I wouldn't be game to try it, but member Bristolherc has given it a go. RM/The Few sometimes use the shorter fleece for the D-1.

The version with the light russet rigger pockets, is the Werber from The Few 2008/09 collection.

SP8-009_0.jpg

... btw, did I miss what B-10 that is you have on in your avatar with the light colored collar?

L.S.L. Garment Co, a limited edition Buzz jacket, courtesy of Couchy ... here's the thread.

viewtopic.php?p=24083#p24083

and the blonde mouton B-10 thread here ...

viewtopic.php?p=28158#p28158

Doug C

Yea, I like that.. but why are there so few D-1s compared to B-3s anyway ? I always have to look at each back to back to remember the exact differences, though instictively I know prefer the D-1 I suppose it's the simpler design of the D-1 I prefer.

Doug C

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Doug C said:
Yea, I like that.. but why are there so few D-1s compared to B-3s anyway ?

Variations? The B-3 had a much longer run, so there were more contracts, and more of an evolution.

Survival rate? The D-1 is so practical, that I guess many took on a second career, and were just worn out.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Okay ... the D-1 is here. It arrived yesterday at 5:00 PM, after I'd missed the morning courier, so too dark for pictures.

Still a dull finish after the lanolin treatment, the sheepskin is the vegetable tanned South African merino.

HLBfront.jpg

HLBback.jpg

HLBflat.jpg

HLBflash.jpg

HLBflat-bk.jpg

HLBlabel.jpg

HLBshoulder.jpg

HLBzipper.jpg

HLBcollar.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
What's this 'lanolin treatment' ?

Paddy suggested that they apply a lanolin based dressing, and leave it over the weekend, before sewing in the label. Bevan tells me that it's good, they buy it in Japan ... I always listen to Bevan. :lol:

Nice jacket, and a very nice coloured wall[ English bond ?]

Thanks, John ... the wall is the back of the old flour mill/bakery behind my shop, it used to be my workshop, now it's fancy offices, and a fashion shop. The bricks will be local.

I like these old brick mills, hard to find now ... most have been lost to carparking.

Falcon_52

It looks like the lanolin treatment worked very well; it looks excellent. The fit appears very comfortable too. Very nice!

Noel

Members online

Latest posts