• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The D-1 ... is it a secret !!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Maybe I just don't pay attention ...

I was visiting Real McCoy's last month, and mentioned that I have never worn my B-3, because it rarely gets cold enough. Paddy produced a D-1 with the shorter fleece, but I didn't try it, as I was on a different mission.

Back home I looked into it, and realised that I hadn't really noticed the variety of D-1's. This week I returned with a new mission ... to find the perfect D-1.

Brown ones, red ones, zippered pockets, single rigger pockets, double rigger pockets, extra joins in the fleece, hanging chain on the outside ....

Finally I found the perfect D-1, no pockets, no extra seams, short 6 mm fleece, just like the early versions. It turned out to be a FEW prototype from the 2006 season, the production model went with longer fleece.

A perfect fit, so this weekend it's enjoying a little lanolin, tomorrow the label gets sewn in ... H.L.B. Corp, and hopefully it will be shipped.

Now how come I haven't noticed these before? Here's a picture of the 2006 sample jacket while I wait ...

FEW06D-1HLB.jpg

A

Anonymous

I must say myself I have never felt I needed a sheepskin jacket Irvin b-6 as it never gets cold enough here in New York ,a Carrhart does the trick for me on the coldest days .When I go hunting in Michigan in the winter (November 15th -30th) I wear on those days polyproperlene socks under wool and thermal liners 2pcs under regular camo and sitting still is no problem.But I would definately consider a D-1 with a 6mm fleece looks like a nice jacket David .

All the best Jeff

John Lever

DUBOWA2 said:
I must say myself I have never felt I needed a sheepskin jacket Irvin b-6 as it never gets cold enough here in New York ,a Carrhart does the trick for me on the coldest days .When I go hunting in Michigan in the winter (November 15th -30th) I wear on those days polyproperlene socks under wool and thermal liners 2pcs under regular camo and sitting still is no problem.But I would definately consider a D-1 with a 6mm fleece looks like a nice jacket David .

All the best Jeff
Jeff,
I'm amazed that it never gets cold enough there. I always thought that temperatures often go well below freezing for days on end.
David, great jacket is it a RM ?
I have owned two D-1's, a huge original that was like cardboard and a cheap though accurate Italian repro. I may well swap one of my B-3's for one.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
David, great jacket is it a RM ?

Thanks guys ... :)

John, it's from The Few ... with shorter fleece than the picture, making it, for me, more wearable, and less fluffy around the perimiters.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
Go on tell us how much .....

6mm, John. ;)

Roughwear said:
I do like the style of this D-1. Is it really as shiny as in the photo?

No Andrew, it's the lighting ... actually my one was looking quite dull, that's why the lanolin.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
£6 million.?

Wow !! Well okay John ... thanks. I am really quite thrilled with this one, but at that sort of money, I guess I will let it go.

I'll PM the details for a bank transfer. :cool:

Grant

Here's what the RMNZ D-1 looks like after a couple years wear. It's probably the one repro jacket I regret selling.
Congrats on your new D-1 and have fun breaking it in.

D-1frontIIforum.jpg

CBI

Looks good but I am pretty certain that John Chapman is going to be adding a D-1 to his line-up. Worth the wait for sure.

Andrew

Grant said:
Here's what the RMNZ D-1 looks like after a couple years wear. It's probably the one repro jacket I regret selling.
Congrats on your new D-1 and have fun breaking it in.

Great looking jacket and one i've always admired but unfortunately one i'd never get any use from.

Good for you Dave, really nice.

jack aranda

Nice looking jacket, David. Trim, clean lines, good length, and I'll bet that puppy is warm. The shearling-lined jackets are terriffic, but in San Francisco summer is the only time I'd get to wear one :lol: . That's when the wind and fog REALLY crank up to speed. Just on aesthetics your new jacket is a solid 'A+'. I'll look forward to seeing pics of it being worn when it arrives.

Grant

Hi John,
Yeah, RMNZ really do make exceptional shearling jackets. Even though the jacket was extremely warm and light in weight I usually grab an Irvin or my ELC B-3 when it gets really cold in NYC. As I said I sure regret it now!

Grant

Hi Allen, You mean the B-3? No, sold that as well as it was just too heavy a jacket to wear. These days I'm happy with my ELC RW B-3 or an original Irvin.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
Finally I found the perfect D-1, no pockets, no extra seams, short 6 mm fleece, just like the early versions. It turned out to be a FEW prototype from the 2006 season, the production model went with longer fleece.

I'm curious about your choice. One of the major pluses and draws of the B-6 and D-1 for me are the fact that they have pockets. Why did you go for one without pockets?