• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Collar/Windflap/Zipper intersection- various repros compared to original Aeros- 21996,18775 and 15142

Steve27752

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Q "What do you hear Starbuck"? A "All I hear is the rain".

Grant

Interesting collar construction detail. I was rocking my Cable today and noticed they used a slightly different variation how the zip taping is attached to the collar seam.

Cable.jpg

DiamondDave

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Q "What do you hear Starbuck"? A "All I hear is the rain".

super productive, thank you

ZuZu

Dinomartino= The answer is NO! I don't think the two supposed examples show a centered "X" and I don't think you'll find a clean example of it. So- NO.

jeremiah

patina on metal definitely does help protect it. I'd imagine if Lady Liberty was ever cleaned off, she would fall to pieces.

dinomartino1

I
Dinomartino= The answer is NO! I don't think the two supposed examples show a centered "X" and I don't think you'll find a clean example of it. So- NO.

I will say it again I am not in the aero fan club.

By saying the word "supposed" you are questioning the integrity of 2BMNK and Royalcrown32 and you should have asked for proof they where the contracts in question if you had doubts not make blanket assumptions that anyone who disagrees with you is part of an aero fan club conspiracy

In you own words
Wow- one photo that shows one line almost making the full "X". What you have here IS the anomaly- not the hundreds of other phot0s which show original jackets sewn the way I have illustrated. I want a repro which is typical of a contract- not a one off. What this photo shows very clearly however is that other feature which originals had and only two makers ( Diamond Dave and GW- as far as I know) get- can you see it?
What you want and your personal preferences does not equate to it innacurate, it was done so either style is valid to use.

Skyhawk who has been on the receiving end of KC's comments and who to his credit never bites back is willing to concede the point without bias affecting his judgement.

Regarding some of your statements

I agree I am a self proclaimed expert- but if you can find anything wrong with my points by all means argue them! If you are uncomfortable with threads of repro criticism I would avoid them- simply DON"T click on the threads with the big "Z" by them! I think there is a place for both happy high-fivin' and honest criticism here. Am I wrong?
A fine sentiment if you stick by what you say.

I can't see the claim you mention about %100 accuracy anywhere on the aero website for any of their A-2's
What I did see though.

"Unknown Maker" Contract No 1756 Type A-2
all means that our recreation of this rare contact is the best on the market.

Bronco W535AC29191 Type A-2
We've replicated every tiny detail

USAAF 42-15142-P Type A-2
we can guarantee that our current 42-15142-P fits identically to the equivalent WW2 issue jacket

Aero "Real Deal" 42-15142-P Type A-2 Unmatched Horsehide
The end result is probably the nearest to a WWII A2 made since 1943, compare the Aero jacket to the original WW2 jacket in the period photo. Obviously we save on the hides when making such a jacket, and that saving is being passed on to the customer despite the fact that we think this is probably the most truly authentic A2 on the market.

I am not an expert on A-2s have never been my main jacket interest but I welcome seeing inaccuracies aired on the forum.
I believe there are people who put certain makers on a pedestal and are unwilling to accept any criticism of them, more so on the FL than here though but that also works both ways
I think I see things in a more impartial light and am just being the devils advocate, not the devils friend.

Last edited:

jeremiah

Not sure. But the verdigris is definitely different from rust on iron. And maybe lady liberty wouldn’t fall to pieces haha.
but she’d have a brighter perspective.

Officer Dibley

Zuzu & DD seem to make every post they get wrapped around the axles on go south and cause falling outs.
Still, on the plus side, it does stop me looking on here very often :cool:
I think i’s time for me to ignore both. Someone tell me when they’ve gone. Sometimes the knowledge isn’t worth the cost of learning.
Some people need to get a life.

ZuZu

The funny thing is how easy it would be for Ken and Aero of Scotland to fix some of these things. Adjust the sewing machines, put the zipper in correctly and put the "X" in the right place! Just with those little things you have a much better repro! Fly me to Scotland- I'll do a consultation- I'll be your Jacket Whisperer...:cool: