• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spent some birthday money.

RCSignals

Roughwear said:
atkins said:

This part of the listing is amusing;

This is the official item: .... the button-down flapped front cargo pockets, 2PC sleeves, button down or stand-up collar, hook & eye neck closure, Scovill Gripper-zipper, 1PC back, &c. &c. indicate an honest "Poughkeepsie" jacket REPLICA...

The labels use a Poughkeepsie contract number so he must have looked that up. They aren't a replica of anything.

RCSignals

ButteMT61 said:
That's a true $99 jacket if there ever was one. Has the look of so many Coopers on ebay. To me, they're the ugliest A2's on the market (of so-called A2 makers) The "hides" look like dyed cardboard at best. And the color looks like ****.

Coopers you mean? Surely not Dean or Chitchats jackets

ButteMT61

RCSignals said:
ButteMT61 said:
That's a true $99 jacket if there ever was one. Has the look of so many Coopers on ebay. To me, they're the ugliest A2's on the market (of so-called A2 makers) The "hides" look like dyed cardboard at best. And the color looks like ****.

Indeed! Not chitchats. Coopers. The ebay Coopers almost all look like poop. The color even looks like it. Sorry if it sounded otherwise.

deand

I'll be interested in seeing what the color of mine will be like when I receive it.

dean

RCSignals

ButteMT61 said:
RCSignals said:
ButteMT61 said:

Indeed! Not chitchats. Coopers. The ebay Coopers almost all look like poop. The color even looks like it. Sorry if it sounded otherwise.

I tend to agree about the Coopers, and they live on in the Avirex/Cockpit, Schott and USWings A-2 jackets. You can spot the pocket flap shape a mile away.

deand

atkins said:

Great! I hope the buyer is satisfied. I have received the jacket and am presently working on it to change a few things, i.e., I rubbed it down with alcohol to take the sheen off it, and have begun adding stitching rows to the epauettes. I might also to add vent grommets under the arms. I'd say the color is a chocolate brown, but not richly so, and it makes me wonder if that red-dye applied would 'russet' it up a bit. The 'disco' collar is a bit large, but with some H2O and shaping, it works well to produce the 'mona lisa' collar effect posted about elsewhere in the forum. I'll post some shots later, as best my phone can take, after further work.

dean

dmar836

It would be tough to lighten the color with dye. The dyes, at least the kind I used, does lend a translucent, analine effect. Might be the very effect you are after.

Looking forward to pics!

Dave

deand

Just finished extra epaulette stitching:

mms_picture-9.jpg

dean

deand

Under different light to show how much the color can vary from one setting to another:

mms_picture2-1.jpg

More like the actual color:

mms_picture3.jpg

dean

deand

I know this sounds crazy, but I'm beginning to suspect this jacket, one of the 99, as in dollars, some might say, is possibly/maybe/perhaps horsehide. I have a couple of goat jackets and this is just notlike them. It has some grain showing, wrinkling nice with wear, and actually feels pretty tough. Reasons I would not have assumed it could be horse are 1) it was not expensive, 2) it was not so described , 3) no tag specifying horse is visible, 3) I have never handled a jacket known to be horsehide, and therefore could not offer my own knowledgeable opinion and 4) I would have expected horsehide to be a bit stiffer/thicker than this jacket, aware that varying thickness/weight of hides exist and maybe cheaper jackets use th lighter weights. Perhaps not consistently though, I understand as well. Maybe the photos I posted in this thread would be helpful to the cognoscenti of the forum in confirming or dispelling this notion of mine. Fire at will. :lol: :)

dean

atkins

I think someone mention it is impossible to tell the difference between horse and cow. and the only way to tell is DNA testing :eek: .

Atticus

I like the jacket. I'm pretty sure it isn't goat. I think it is hard to tell the difference between new cow and new horse. I think as a horsehide jacket ages, and its grain begins to mature, its horsiness becomes very obvious.

AF

deand

Indeed, cow it may be. Leather ID is tough, I know. Haven't handled steerhide, either, aprt from a baseball mitt and a shoulder bag I use to carry my pastoral agenda and communion set. The hide is so smooth i was at first afraid it was vinyl :shock: , but looked inside the pockets and undersides of the epaulettes and was reassured of its pedigree. Thanks for the responses!

dean

Dr H

atkins said:
I think someone mention it is impossible to tell the difference between horse and cow. and the only way to tell is DNA testing :eek: .

Or MALDI-ToF-SIMS (I posted on this elsewhere). It was used to differentiate between the species used for the clothing/hides on Otzi the iceman (body found on the Swiss/Italian border)...

Ian C

Dr H said:
atkins said:

Or MALDI-ToF-SIMS (I posted on this elsewhere). It was used to differentiate between the species used for the clothing/hides on Otzi the iceman (body found on the Swiss/Italian border)...

He had a yew longbow on him too which dispels the myth that the Welsh invented them.

RCSignals

I think flight apparel industries used different hides. Probably used what was available at different times as far as weight and thickness goes. They definitely used goat, and the jacket I have is horse. I wouldn't call it thin though. Yours could well be horse. I guess we'll never know the full story of what this company did, and they stopped manufacturing in about 1986.

I think it partially depends on how the hides are finished whether one can readily tell if it is cow or horse, but it is my understanding and from what I've seen it isn't too hard to distinguish. Grain and pore sizes are different, the hand is generally different. I've seen an Eastman Steer hide A-2 and it was definitely different from horse in feel, hand and close look.
There was a pretty good write up on the Horween site.