• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spent some birthday money.

deand

You've probably seen this one on e-bay, and it now I've bought it for $168.50 with free shipping, BIN. Curious condition to the leather. Single stitch epaulettes. At least it gives my bargain basement collection some variety. Looks practically russet from the photos. Will post observations and pictures after getting it home.

KGrHqJocE63lLnBOHdTD3Nw60_3.jpg

KGrHqNoEE63WY9lScBOHd7jYw60_3.jpg

KGrHqViEE68LOCcknBOHeFILR60_3.jpg

dean

deand

Didn't post the photo of the tag, it's a "Flight Apparel", item, from the company whose owner died in a plane crash, his own private aircraft collided with another.

dean

Roughwear

OK. But it is remarkably similar to an Avirex. These Flight Apparel jackets were produced in the 1970s/early 1980s as the owner died in 1983.

deand

Never've seen an Avirex up close. Does look quite similar, though, from what I've seen in pictures. Do you think someone tried the water treatment on it?

dean

RCSignals

The pocket flaps do look similar to Cooper and some Avirex, at least the government contract ones, the jacket lining definitely lookse Like Flight Apparel Industries especially the way the hanger loop is.
Flight Apparel Industries seem to have used various pocket flap and collar shapes, as well as different leathers. Is this one Horse hide?
I've read the Flight apparel jackets were available for private purchase in PXclothing outlets and approved for service wear when A-2s were re approved. They also made a G-1

deand

I think it's goat. Don't really know for sure, but the price leads me to believe it is, in addition to other info I've found.

dean

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
They were made in both goatskin, and cow-hide. Others on the forum have suggested that the goat version is the one to go for, but I was pleased with mine in russet cow-hide. It was a great jacket for the money ... if only they'd placed the epaulets on top of the shoulders.

RCSignals

There were also some made in horse hide.
They are not 'reproduction' jackets of any actual contracts but are nice jackets.

Does that one have in set sleeves?

atkins

Dean, looking forward to your review of the jacket, me too watched this jacket and considered to bid on it, it's the crumpled/wrinkles makes me think twice, made it look thin. I like Flight Apparel's big collar .The last same type of FA sold for $68 but it was more more crumpled. I hope it is the right weight leather .

Here's Chitchat beautiful leather FA:

http://vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11354

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
There were also some made in horse hide.

Can you tell us any more, RCS? .... Mine had quite the look of horsehide, but Google couldn't find evidence they ever came that way.

RCSignals

From what I can gather they used goat, horse, and cowhide, in russet, a dark brown, and a more medium brown. The weights of the hides seems to have varied. I have one that was from an AF pilot, it's horse. I can only speculate but maybe the horse hide was a special offering?
Was Flight Apparel Industries a competitor for the 'new' A2 in the 80s? As I said they apparently has jackets placed in PX clothing outlets, and G-1 in Navy equivalent. Their G-1 from the few I know about were goatskin with real mouton collar.

RCSignals

chitchats jacket has another pattern of pocket but the rest of the jacket, certainly the epaulets, look the same pattern as Deans. The collar might be different.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
... I have one that was from an AF pilot, it's horse. I can only speculate but maybe the horse hide was a special offering?

Thankyou ...

ButteMT61

That's a true $99 jacket if there ever was one. Has the look of so many Coopers on ebay. To me, they're the ugliest A2's on the market (of so-called A2 makers) The "hides" look like dyed cardboard at best. And the color looks like ****.