• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something a Bit Different..... Show Us Your Vintage Civilian Jackets.

B-Man2

50 years ago, in 1971, I was 14 years old and growing up in Oakland, California. It was one of the best times in my life, as I was without a care in the world- before the pressures of university, career & family obligations began.

My passion was playing ice hockey and my teammates & I were like brothers to each other. We'd meet at the rink every Friday night and awkwardly try to meet girls at the public skating session. On Saturday & Sunday we would have our weekly practice & game. We had a tremendous sense of pride & camaraderie, both on & off the ice- symbolized by our uniforms & team jacket.

View attachment 52750

This 50 year old jacket is the classic "Varsity" jacket and is still, to this day, made by Golden Bear Sportswear in San Francisco: Varsity Jackets – Golden Bear Sportswear (goldenbearstore.com) I believe I bought it for around $20 (including embroidery.) Today it sells for $560!!

View attachment 52751

I wore my team jacket everywhere. Much like a high school varsity letterman's jacket, it was both a fashion statement as well as one of accomplishment. Not everyone could have one, it had to be earned.

View attachment 52752

It is made with a wool body & cuffs, maroon satin liner and leather sleeves & trim. The construction & workmanship are absolutely stellar; with proper care, I have NO doubt that it could last another 50 years. The mismatched grain & figure on the sleeves is outstanding. Their current day jacket uses cowhide, but I wonder if mine could be made with goatskin?

View attachment 52753

One nice feature that I haven't seen on any other jacket for long time is the partially extended leather sleeve cuffs, presumably used to reduce wear on the knit cuffs in those areas.

View attachment 52754

View attachment 52755View attachment 52756View attachment 52757

Thanks Burt, for starting this thread. Seeing this jacket again brought back a lot of wonderful memories & feelings of my youth and an incredible period in my life. This is the first jacket that really meant something to me and the one that planted the seed for a 50 year appreciation of outerwear.
Outstanding post Jim!!
That’s what this thread is all about .
Nice job!

tjoenn

I'll play along - don't expect to win a prize though :) This is my only civilian leather jacket. Don't wear if often, but it's very special to me as it was my dad's. He gave it to me a couple of years ago (he's still in good health, turning 80 this year). I think the jacket is from about 1980 when they were very popular here. It's a very warm and comfortable coat.

coat.jpg

B-Man2

I'll play along - don't expect to win a prize though :) This is my only civilian leather jacket. Don't wear if often, but it's very special to me as it was my dad's. He gave it to me a couple of years ago (he's still in good health, turning 80 this year). I think the jacket is from about 1980 when they were very popular here. It's a very warm and comfortable coat.

View attachment 52764
That looks warm enough for a Scandinavian fall;).

Nickb123

50 years ago, in 1971, I was 14 years old and growing up in Oakland, California. It was one of the best times in my life, as I was without a care in the world- before the pressures of university, career & family obligations began.

My passion was playing ice hockey and my teammates & I were like brothers to each other. We'd meet at the rink every Friday night and awkwardly try to meet girls at the public skating session. On Saturday & Sunday we would have our weekly practice & game. We had a tremendous sense of pride & camaraderie, both on & off the ice- symbolized by our uniforms & team jacket.

View attachment 52750

This 50 year old jacket is the classic "Varsity" jacket and is still, to this day, made by Golden Bear Sportswear in San Francisco: Varsity Jackets – Golden Bear Sportswear (goldenbearstore.com) I believe I bought it for around $20 (including embroidery.) Today it sells for $560!!

View attachment 52751

I wore my team jacket everywhere. Much like a high school varsity letterman's jacket, it was both a fashion statement as well as one of accomplishment. Not everyone could have one, it had to be earned.

View attachment 52752

It is made with a wool body & cuffs, maroon satin liner and leather sleeves & trim. The construction & workmanship are absolutely stellar; with proper care, I have NO doubt that it could last another 50 years. The mismatched grain & figure on the sleeves is outstanding. Their current day jacket uses cowhide, but I wonder if mine could be made with goatskin?

View attachment 52753

One nice feature that I haven't seen on any other jacket for long time is the partially extended leather sleeve cuffs, presumably used to reduce wear on the knit cuffs in those areas.

View attachment 52754

View attachment 52755View attachment 52756View attachment 52757

Thanks Burt, for starting this thread. Seeing this jacket again brought back a lot of wonderful memories & feelings of my youth and of an incredible period in my life. This is the first jacket that really meant something to me and the one that planted the seed for a 50 year appreciation of outerwear.

lovely post. I know Johnson Leathers does that sleeve leather extend thing with their M-120 flight jacket. May be a Bay Area thing?

Flightengineer

My father's old civilian leather jacket that he gave me and I weared it about 5 years. Unknown maker.
This photo was taken about 25 years ago, when my friend and I were having fun with spotting - we first started flying and making good money to buy good cameras. He made pics of my plane on approach in SVO, and I made pics his.
The jacket was stolen 3 years later by some bastard right from the hotel room.

ties70

I wish I had this one in good quality, and without the obligatory reddish tint from Kodak Film, but no...

IMG-20210208-WA0001~2.jpg

My mom, a learned seamstress for womens' dresses....here shown in a selfmade green sheepskin jacket with rabbit fur cuffs and a matching collar.

The ensemble gets completed by seriously cuffed bell-bottom pants and plateau boots..

Ties

London Cabbie

It’s not vintage but it is civilian. My favourite non-Flight jacket. If you could only EVER (hard to imagine) have one jacket that pretty much does everything (except the cold, thick gilet underneath...) from wearing with a suit to Buckingham Palace or muddy Gardening. The Barbour Bedale does the job, even gets better with age...
B580751F-BA4D-4DF6-AA8B-B1F17D9C7034.jpeg

Flightengineer

It’s not vintage but it is civilian. My favourite non-Flight jacket. If you could only EVER (hard to imagine) have one jacket that pretty much does everything (except the cold, thick gilet underneath...) from wearing with a suit to Buckingham Palace or muddy Gardening. The Barbour Bedale does the job, even gets better with age...View attachment 52811

Nice one! I have Border and Beaufort in navy blue.

Happy Hooligan

okay, I was in the wrong thread I guess. Adding pics of some jackets here.

Unknown 30's jacket. Might be military but might be civilian?
1612889495629.png

Hercules with crazy mix-matched grain
1612889537281.png

My wish I still had it, Californian Surrogates jacket

1612889628885.png

and my King-o-Wear that was used in another thread last year.
1612889649584.png

London Cabbie

I don’t own a ‘vintage’ jacket but when I do it will be this one...

The Veste des Rallye successfully captures the period feel of 1950s and 60's motoring, first made by Aero in 1994 to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the mighty Mini Cooper's first of four consecutive Monte Carlo Rally victories (although the French did manage to find a way to disqualify the winning Mini in 1966).
4429131A-574B-45A7-9B5C-700DD56324A5.jpeg

Paul Glover

As the saying goes, if you throw enough mud, some of it sticks!.Sorry about the picture quality the light was fading. Two more examples again I think from late eighties early nineties. I dont recognise the checkpoint label but I like the jacket for its plaid lining and storm cuffs.
IMG_20210210_162815584.jpg
IMG_20210210_162841450.jpg
IMG_20210210_162955417.jpg
IMG_20210210_162334908.jpg
IMG_20210210_162548811.jpg
IMG_20210210_162528149.jpg

Paul Glover

Some nice jackets

One or two starting to draw a few length clear of the field, plenty of time for these to be caught though
Sadly one or two entries have been disqualified....................Guys? Fancy trying to slip your Aero into the field behind the Steward's back, :oops:
That is deploreable !, the lengths some people will stoop to in order to gain favour from the jacket judge. By the way here is a picture of me in my Hein gerike jacket sifting through some old tat at a little known leather jacket manucturer in Scotland.
IMG_0027.JPG