• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something a Bit Different..... Show Us Your Vintage Civilian Jackets.

B-Man2

Hi Guys :)
In some recent posts a few have commented that we have strayed beyond the intended purpose of this forum, which was originally conceived to post, discuss, and exchange ideas on vintage leather jackets . In fact I’ve had a few discussions with guys who have left this forum, because it no longer meets their expectations and only has limited posts and discussions regarding vintage leather jackets. Still others feel that the forum is predominantly about military jackets and doesn’t welcome the inclusion of civilian jackets . So with that in mind and also with all of your concurrence, I’d like to start a thread that is exclusive to vintage civilian jackets of any type . Post any vintage jacket you like as long as it’s vintage. Post your vintage denim jackets , post your wool jackets , post your old leather disco jackets, post your dads jackets , the only requirement is that it’s vintage, let’s say 20 years old or greater. As always, I’m ok with criticism or opinions if you don’t like this idea. After all we are an opinion based forum so let them fly. So let’s have fun with this thread and hopefully some participation . I’ll start it off with my old Harley jacket that’s about 30 years old.
Cheers
A514B2B3-DE49-44D2-8344-B72B5ADA3E27.jpeg
3722EC0D-8904-4151-8DDA-1FDCF6B77F58.jpeg

mulceber

Great post, Burt! Here’s my LL Bean fleece-lined flight jacket that you encouraged me to buy.

BE33619C-0E3F-4EEC-8EAA-C7993499B4A0.jpeg

42DA3F76-F8F1-4AB7-82F7-519777EF202A.jpeg

unlike any of the military leather flight jackets, this one has hand warmer pockets lined with a rough cotton.
729DF192-C6E0-4985-AC31-54D07A11E575.jpeg

The zipper tape was separating when I bought it, but our own @STEVE S. installed a new one for me.
21028199-289F-4F9F-BA8E-2D27A2C340D6.jpeg

8BA1E321-D813-4FFA-896D-4B410EBA4688.jpeg
These jackets are really great in winter and are a neat development off of the A-2 style. Highly recommended.

B-Man2

Great post, Burt! Here’s my LL Bean fleece-lined flight jacket that you encouraged me to buy.

View attachment 52562
View attachment 52563
unlike any of the military leather flight jackets, this one has hand warmer pockets lined with a rough cotton.
View attachment 52564
The zipper tape was separating when I bought it, but our own @STEVE S. installed a new one for me.
View attachment 52565
View attachment 52566These jackets are really great in winter and are a neat development off of the A-2 style. Highly recommended.
Jan
I know I've told you this several times, but for those who may not know, I've owned one of these jackets for a number of years and its my all around favorite for actual use as a flight jacket. The shearling lining is perfect for cold weather, or cold cockpits. Its way easier to travel with than a B-6, D1, B-3 or Irvin as its not as bulky and can store easily in overheads . Its got pockets inside and out. It looks good with jeans or casual slacks. The mouton collar keeps the neck warm. The goatskin is very nice, and it even has leather tabs sewn into the cuff knits for taking off the sleeves, so you don't have to reach up into the cuff to pull the sleeve off. A very nice addition!
The best part is you can still find these on ebay for about $100-120.00. Love 'em:)

B-Man2

Late 19th to early 20th century so approx 1860 to 1910 ish but that frock coat style was popular for years.

Is that the sort of thing you were looking for Burt?
Absolutely Steve ... trying to get a bit of “vintage “ back into the VLJ . A few members feel that the forum has lost its vintage appeal and doesn’t focus on older leather jackets or vintage clothing anymore. I think to a degree, that’s probably true. I remember back in the 2008-2009 time frame , there were a lot more original A2’s and other original vintage jackets being discussed and photographed on the forum . Not all people have access to those types of original jackets or the finances to purchase them , so why not have a thread for old jackets period , leather, wool, or whatever. There’s plenty of young guys who can contribute as well . Just look through your families closet for some old leather jackets your dad had or something that was worn 20 years ago . Just trying to drum up some participation,conversation and to keep from loosing some long standing members . 5 Stars are great leather jackets , and Shawn has come a long way in a short time , but if we want to keep people interested in the Vintage Leather Jacket Forum , we can’t have a steady diet of any one thing . We should be a bit more versatile.
This is just my opinion and I’m open to criticism if any disagree . So please jump in here with your thoughts . This is our forum so let’s make it a great one, and maybe members will stop leaving.

Micawber

Absolutely Steve ... trying to get a bit of “vintage “ back into the VLJ . A few members feel that the forum has lost its vintage appeal and doesn’t focus on older leather jackets or vintage clothing anymore. I think to a degree, that’s probably true. I remember back in the 2008-2009 time frame , there were a lot more original A2’s and other original vintage jackets being discussed and photographed on the forum . Not all people have access to those types of original jackets or the finances to purchase them , so why not have a thread for old jackets period , leather, wool, or whatever. There’s plenty of young guys who can contribute as well . Just look through your families closet for some old leather jackets your dad had or something that was worn 20 years ago . Just trying to drum up some participation,conversation and to keep from loosing some long standing members . 5 Stars are great leather jackets , and Shawn has come a long way in a short time , but if we want to keep people interested in the Vintage Leather Jacket Forum , we can’t have a steady diet of any one thing . We should be a bit more versatile.
This is just my opinion and I’m open to criticism if any disagree . So please jump in here with your thoughts . This is our forum so let’s make it a great one, and maybe members will stop leaving.

Agree 100% Burt. Mindful that this is not TFL Just to add a bit of variety I will occasionally post photos of some of my ancient and vintage civilian wear fully aware that this is probably not going to be of interest to that many here.

Paul Glover

Hopefully attached will be some photos of two jackets in my collection, by no means pristine or collectors items.
The first one I believe to be a French horsehide jacket with a removable sheepskin liner ( slightly motheaten), the origional main zip was broken so I hand stitched the ugly replacement that I had taken from a written off Irvin.
This jacket also has a removable fur collar, it came with a beaver skin ( or something similar) but I made a replacement with ww2 fleece.
The second jacket is a recent purchase from ebay which was advertised as a mid eighties production.
This also has a zip out faux fur liner and I made the detachable collar again from ww2 fleece and used buttons from a ww2 leather jerkin.
This jacket may not be to everyones taste but it is bullet proof weighing in at 3kg, the leather (not sure what type) is very thick but pliable.
At fifty quid I think it was a bargain and it went straight to the top of the favourite list in my civvy jacket collection.
IMG_20210207_163823768.jpg
IMG_20210207_163823768.jpg
IMG_20210207_163958286.jpg
IMG_20210207_163854666.jpg
IMG_20210207_163833274.jpg
IMG_20210207_162916615.jpg
IMG_20210207_163112170.jpg
IMG_20210207_163036167.jpg
IMG_20210207_162959672.jpg
IMG_20210207_162932757.jpg

B-Man2

Hopefully attached will be some photos of two jackets in my collection, by no means pristine or collectors items.
The first one I believe to be a French horsehide jacket with a removable sheepskin liner ( slightly motheaten), the origional main zip was broken so I hand stitched the ugly replacement that I had taken from a written off Irvin.
This jacket also has a removable fur collar, it came with a beaver skin ( or something similar) but I made a replacement with ww2 fleece.
The second jacket is a recent purchase from ebay which was advertised as a mid eighties production.
This also has a zip out faux fur liner and I made the detachable collar again from ww2 fleece and used buttons from a ww2 leather jerkin.
This jacket may not be to everyones taste but it is bullet proof weighing in at 3kg, the leather (not sure what type) is very thick but pliable.
At fifty quid I think it was a bargain and it went straight to the top of the favourite list in my civvy jacket collection.View attachment 52654View attachment 52654View attachment 52655View attachment 52656View attachment 52657View attachment 52658View attachment 52659View attachment 52660View attachment 52661View attachment 52662
Paul
Both of these jackets are pretty cool and you’re right about the second jacket being a keeper . That label is very interesting as well. Have you ever checked the company to see if they’re still around ?

Paul Glover

Paul
Both of these jackets are pretty cool and you’re right about the second jacket being a keeper . That label is very interesting as well. Have you ever checked the company to see if they’re still around ?
Thanks for that!, I did try to look up Alan Gordon but without success, however there are a few other styles pictured on the net by the same maker and they all share the same quality leather and manufacture.

Paul Glover

JimO

50 years ago, in 1971, I was 14 years old and growing up in Oakland, California. It was one of the best times in my life, as I was without a care in the world- before the pressures of university, career & family obligations began.

My passion was playing ice hockey and my teammates & I were like brothers to each other. We'd meet at the rink every Friday night and awkwardly try to meet girls at the public skating session. On Saturday & Sunday we would have our weekly practice & game. We had a tremendous sense of pride & camaraderie, both on & off the ice- symbolized by our uniforms & team jacket.

IMG_20210208_084034708.jpg

This 50 year old jacket is the classic "Varsity" jacket and is still, to this day, made by Golden Bear Sportswear in San Francisco: Varsity Jackets – Golden Bear Sportswear (goldenbearstore.com) I believe I bought it for around $20 (including embroidery.) Today it sells for $560!!

IMG_20210208_084452771.jpg

I wore my team jacket everywhere. Much like a high school varsity letterman's jacket, it was both a fashion statement as well as one of accomplishment. Not everyone could have one, it had to be earned.

IMG_20210208_084509844.jpg

It is made with a wool body & cuffs, maroon satin liner and leather sleeves & trim. The construction & workmanship are absolutely stellar; with proper care, I have NO doubt that it could last another 50 years. The mismatched grain & figure on the sleeves is outstanding. Their current day jacket uses cowhide, but I wonder if mine could be made with goatskin?

IMG_20210208_084550753.jpg

One nice feature that I haven't seen on any other jacket for long time is the partially extended leather sleeve cuffs, presumably used to reduce wear on the knit cuffs in those areas.

IMG_20210208_084656296.jpg

IMG_20210208_085036791.jpg
IMG_20210208_085136038.jpg
IMG_20210208_085228615.jpg

Thanks Burt, for starting this thread. Seeing this jacket again brought back a lot of wonderful memories & feelings of my youth and of an incredible period in my life. This is the first jacket that really meant something to me and the one that planted the seed for a 50 year appreciation of outerwear.

Last edited: