• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

so how Good/ bad is WPG Irvin?

Smithy

Jason said:
A few pictures to help.

Comparison of fleece, WPG at top, original (Links wasn't it Andrew?) at bottom:

Here's the bald patch I was talking about - also shows the reproduction label too:

Comparison of collar shapes. The WPG styled after the more square Wareings, the original a Links noted for its rounder collar style (which I prefer personally):

WPG's Irvin:

Being worn:

For what its worth, I've had no trouble with the zips other than the sharp edges on it; the sleeve zips if left like this may cause surface damage to the sides if you let your sleeve zips brush up against the side panels. I consciously try to avoid this - without walking with a gait like the Michelin Man. Also no trouble with the seams being stiff or plastic-y.

Very good review. I'm sure that will help a lot of people.

Thanks for posting.

flyboy

As mentioned earlier by Smithy, I used to own one. For a couple of months.

I'll say this: You get what you pay for.
I also agree that the jacket was much softer and flexible than the ALC I used to have before the WPG. (Even though I persuaded them to make my jacket in their lighter sheepskin.)
That being said, I was turned off by the look and feel of the fleece, which had a certain "nylon" look and feel.
But most of all by the use of "artificial leather" - some call it plastic - at all seam-tapes, belt and back of the collar. It made the collar very stiff and sort of heavy, which drew the jacket sort of back on your shoulders. (Hard to explain, but I hop you get the picture.)
I had heard about problems with the zippers too - but never experienced it. Although they were quite flimsy.
I know, that this might sound a bit harsh - but being one, who has searched for that "Holy Grail" of repros for ages - and finally found it at Aces High, it's hard to compare these two jackets, without sounding a bit harsh. So sorry.

Here's a picture of my WPG

For the money - its a fairly warm and soft jacket. Close to the original.
But if you want the best quality, most original repro money can buy - save 'em.

Tim P

Well I bid quite actively on it. When it got to the point where it made better economic sense to buy a new one direct I stopped. The use of synthetics to keep the cost down was a bit of an off put really and that kept my bids low.
It should have ended or be ending soon. No drama I will either get a brand new one or save and get a better one.

John Lever

Tim,
Just buy a used ELC , now the warmer weather is here there might be bargains on ebay. What size are you ?

flyboy

I am with John on this one.
Save your money and buy a used ELC.
Or save even more and get yourself a brand new Aces High Irvin. ;)

Otter

I had my Aero (not quite as good in the arms as Aces or ELC) but worn literaly twice from ebay at half the cost of a new one, size 46 as well so they are out there.

CBI

I just now read this thread and you know, these look pretty good worn and for $350 - hmmmmmmmmm. Certainly, better off with a high end jacket but if one simply didn't have much to spend, its not an embarrassing option! They don't have my size now anyway, just 46, 48 and 50 now.

fishmeok

Hello

I have a WPG Irvin in a 44 that fits a 46 perfectly. The defective zip has been replaced (WPG sent out a replacement) and I added a couple clear coats to give the surface some more depth. Otherwise the same as Jasons. Worn about 7 times or so. It's a good coat for the money, with the disadvantages noted in the earlier posts. Biggest plus beside the cost is the slightly thinner fleece, makes this wearable ALMOST three-fourths of the year if you live up North like me... Mine is for sale, drop me a PM if interested.

Cheers
Mark