• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

so how Good/ bad is WPG Irvin?

Tim P

Wondering about the Irvin offered by WPG as a nice budget sheepskin that is wearable due to not being over engineered to do what originals needed to do when.... it doesnt need to.

I recall that we discussed that the collar shape is a little square and that the zip pull is off as well as the belt buckle. as concessions go these seem like sacrifices you can make if the rest of the jacket passes muster.

so is it worth what they sell for? If not, why not? :)

John Lever

To me they look like a copy of the Eastman 1942 pattern. If they are all leather with no plastic then they are well worth it. There is one for sale on eBay UK.

Tim P

John Lever said:
To me they look like a copy of the Eastman 1942 pattern. If they are all leather with no plastic then they are well worth it. There is one for sale on eBay UK.

I know and I plan to bid.... :)
but not before some homework

Roughwear

The WPG Irvin is based on a Wareings jacket. The colour of the skin looks correct and as a budget Irvin they are not bad. Some people have reported the zips to be weak. Some were made with non-leather seam tapes like post War Utility Irvins for the civilian market.

Smithy

Soren here had one for a few months. No doubt he'll chime in and comment.

Some had plastic seam tapes whilst others had leather. Might be worth asking the eBay seller which his offering has.

Good luck with the auction if you go for it.

A

Anonymous

will appreciate if somone can point a link to wpg site where this jacket can be found

Roughwear

I agree John. The current price will surely have to rise soon to take account of the high price of sheepskin.

Dr H

It seems to be a good budget option. Interesting sales pitch: 'Details you don't get: Lightning zips and a useless elastic strap under the collar'.
Well, if you're not going to to the expense of putting one on, call it useless and move on :lol:

Dr H

I never used mine in winds strong enough to warrant it, but familial embarrassment would have been the order of the day... :lol:

Jason

I think they're excellent value for money. A quick list of pros and cons as I see them:

Pro:
They're a lot softer than the originals, with fleece depth about half that of an original. As a result, they're more flexible and in a lot of situations probably more practical to wear.
Very comfortable
Great value
Looks pretty good, very convincing if you don't go looking at the finer details

Cons
With half the fleece depth, obviously not as warm.
The softer facings means they're more susceptible to damage (but more flexible - see pro above)
Zippers on mine has sharp edges, which could be a source of damage to itself. If you're patient with some sandpaper the sharp edges could be dulled a bit.
Collar is a bit floppy which might be annoying especially in windy weather.
Mine has a slight bald patch in the fleece on one back panel, only quite small, and the sleeves near the ends where the zippers close up are somehow uneven. Hard to describe. As a result, QC isn't something worth writing home about.

I think they're made in Pakistan. Overall, a great budget Irvin for the price in my opinion.

Tim P

Its now nearly£200 and they are only £225 direct from Jerry. May step out at this point

Thoughts?

A

Anonymous

Looking great and probably the only Irvin I could afford.

Someone please describe what's the use of the elastic band. Photos welcome.

Andrew

Roughwear said:
The WPG Irvin is based on a Wareings jacket. The colour of the skin looks correct and as a budget Irvin they are not bad. Some people have reported the zips to be weak. Some were made with non-leather seam tapes like post War Utility Irvins for the civilian market.
Have you handled one of these Andrew? I've always been curious to have a look at one but the stories of the dodgy zips, tapes and collar backing are a worry. I like the idea of the thinner more flexible fleece though. I wasn't impressed with the cut and workmanship of their Pakistani made B-1 cap.

Platon the strap was intended to be used in open cockpits to keep the collar upright in a slipstream. It was lifted forward over the wearers forehead and had the effect of maintaining the collar in an upright position- as seen in the patent drg which I'm sure will be posted.

Roughwear

No I have never owned one, but have seen one in the flesh.Jason's review is spot on-a budget Irvin that not satisfy the more discerning Irvin enthusiast.

Jason

A few pictures to help.

Comparison of fleece, WPG at top, original (Links wasn't it Andrew?) at bottom:

Here's the bald patch I was talking about - also shows the reproduction label too:

Comparison of collar shapes. The WPG styled after the more square Wareings, the original a Links noted for its rounder collar style (which I prefer personally):

WPG's Irvin:

Being worn:

For what its worth, I've had no trouble with the zips other than the sharp edges on it; the sleeve zips if left like this may cause surface damage to the sides if you let your sleeve zips brush up against the side panels. I consciously try to avoid this - without walking with a gait like the Michelin Man. Also no trouble with the seams being stiff or plastic-y.