• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Bid on Star 55J14 with Possum(?) Collar?

Nickb123

IMG_8985.jpeg

petermack09

In my opinion, it's too big, and seeing the jacket worn the collar has to go!!!!

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

yeah, its a bit big, and it has been monkeyed with. the question ya to ask your self is. "are all of these issues going to eat away at ya, or can ya wear it and live with it?". you are probably looking for a size 40 or 42, and they still can be found......without major issues. even if ya find a nice solid one with a shitty collar, that can be replaced. btw: f you look closely, you will see protrusions at each shoulder top. this is a sure sign that the jacket was hung on a hanger for a long time. why is that a issue? because the protrusions will have stretched the hide in the areas, and weakened the hide. opinion? yeah, I know opinions are like assholes, in that we all have them, but in this case send it back and continue the search. it may take time, but no doubt you will find "the one".

bgrant570

I think i'm going to keep it for the time being. Who do you recommend I ask about a new collar? Keep in mind that if you say, "Bill", or "Jim", or "Bob" I won't know who you're talking about (I haven't been around here as long as most of you!).

Thanks.

bgrant570

Well, time for an update. I contacted Steve Sellers ( @STEVE S. ) about this poor jacket a while ago. He agreed to take it on and we discussed what it needed and what I wanted done with it. He was great about sending me picutres of options and progress reports. I got home to a package waiting for me the other day and I couldn't wait to open it. Here it is:

thumbnail_image2.jpg
thumbnail_image5.jpg
thumbnail_image4.jpg
thumbnail_image3.jpg

We went with a lighter color, which I'm very happy with. There was a weird patch covering where the lining had come away from the collar. Steve fixed this with a much nicer solution - I told him I wasn't interested in a new lining, that a simple patch would work. He also corrected the hangar loop, makinig a new one from old jacket pieces he already had.

This is going to be a wearer and overall I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Still seems a smidge big, but not as bad as I had previously thought. I'll be hanging on to it for the forseeable future. Glad to have been able to rescue this nearly 75 year old jacket from its previous fate!