• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Bid on Star 55J14 with Possum(?) Collar?

OperationCoffee

Not Yank possums but I used to get paid to shoot (introduced) Aussie brush tailed possums on my family's farms on school holidays when I was a nipper. I had a Ruger 22 high velo carbine with a long mag (now very illegal back home) for the job.

Used to make a packet doing it.
I hear that feral cats are a menace in Oz and peeps shoot them. If so….cat fur jackets?…..

Dumpster D

Do you suppose the possum collar was only tacked on woth loose hand stitching? You might get lucky and who knows, it might just come off with a thread picker and the original one is still intact underneath? Or was it deconstructed and the original mouton is long gone?

Interested to see what's going on with that collar. Please, if you're able to post up some photos when the jacket arrives and you can see what you've got to work with?

Glad to see someone here picked this Jacket up. It's very nice, apart from that hideously abominable collar of course!

Spitfireace

Rabbit meat is good meat. Could be used to feed the homeless. If not I'll eat it. Stew yum, kind of stringy tastes like turkey.

B-Man2

Aww……..

tmp.gif

bgrant570

Well it's here. Let me get some fit pics up right away and get into the details in a seperate post. First off, I was a little disappointed to find out that the seller's measurements were off a little bit. He had two important measurements as: P2P - 23 and Shoulders - 19. Also, he stated that it was like a size M. To me that sounds an awfully lot like a 42. I measured the shoulders as 20 and the P2P closer to 25. A tag in the right pocket confirms this as a 44. Maybe not a dealbreaker, but I like my jackets to fit and I'm not really a layerer. I'll let you help me decide. Below are shots of the new aquisition along with shots of my Dad's 42.

Fox3.jpg
Fox3.jpg
Dad3.jpg
Fox2.jpg
Dad2.jpg
Fox1.jpg
Dad1.jpg

B-Man2

Ok … the fit …. It actually isn’t much different than the fit of your dad’s jacket. We have a tendency to go for the trim fit look in our jackets but as we’ve talked about before , a lot of these guys jackets look trim because all the clothing , wool shirts , long underwear, sweaters and flight suits that they wore under their jacket . If they had worn just a t shirt their jacket would be one or two sizes too big in their photos .
So yours is ok …..
Now the collar? ………
image000000.gif

bgrant570

So the Jacket...well the collar speaks for itself. Still can't believe someone thought this was a good idea. I think it is most likely fox. It's good quality for what it is.

The good: The leather seems pretty amazing to me for probably being over 70 years old. It's very supple, not a trace of dryness, very minimal scuffing. Looks to me like the waist knit is OG, the cuff may have been replaced. Except for a small tearaway from the collar, the lining is in good shape. From what I've read on the fantastic "A better fighting garment..." doc this seems to be what the tag says it is - a 55J14 (AER) Star Sportswear from 1950 or 51 (experts please chime in).

The bad: Well there's not much bad here actually. The collar, obviously. The leather hangar was sewn in wrong. probably with the addition of the fur. Fairly certain the zipper is a replacement, as are the cuffs. A couple of mends on the waist knit.

That's really about it. I wouldn't really call any of those things a big deal, with the exception of the collar and the separation of the lining up there.

Fox5.jpg
Fox4.jpg
Fox5.jpg
Fox4.jpg

Fox19.jpg

This weird patch is covering a separation of the lining from the collar.

Fox18.jpg

Loop sewn in wrong.

Fox20.jpg
Fox22.jpg
Fox21.jpg

Inside pocket is a heavier material than my D or E series. Like a light canvas.

Fox7.jpg

Note the lighter thread at the cuff.

Fox9.jpg
Fox8.jpg