• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saw this Irvin on Instagram apparently a later period polish modified jacket

busdrivermike

This made me think of a Irvin jacket I saw years ago at a museum in Moosejaw Saskatchewan
That had some saddlery brass lobster claws on the sleeves mid zipper added by the original owner

IMG_4701.jpeg
img_4703-jpeg.133919
IMG_4702.jpeg
IMG_4704.jpeg
IMG_4705.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4703.jpeg
    IMG_4703.jpeg
    475.9 KB · Views: 418

OperationCoffee

At first I was skeptical because the cuffs show no wear at all. Maybe these mods were done very late before the jacket saw much combat. Cool jacket

Smithy

At first I was skeptical because the cuffs show no wear at all. Maybe these mods were done very late before the jacket saw much combat. Cool jacket

Worth pointing out here that not all late Irvins saw combat.

Because of the very harsh winter of '44/'45 the RAF issued Irvins to those in 2TAF fighter squadrons (who didn't already have them) for the purpose of keeping warm on the ground - by this stage of the war, fighter pilots had stopped using them for combat flying for around 4 years.

In terms of the cuffs they do have some wear. If you zoom in on the cuff in the third picture, just directly above the thumb, you can see where the edge has significantly worn down.

Fascinating modification.

Dumpster D

The pockets are taken from a set of RAF Irvin trousers, the pockets would have originally been on the front of the thighs. A really good a useful modification, looks great.

Have you got a photo of some of the Irvin trouser pockets with those painted snap fasteners showing, I've only seen Irvin trousers with the snap fasteners that are sewn inside the leather flaps.

denny@aero

Have you got a photo of some of the Irvin trouser pockets with those painted snap fasteners showing, I've only seen Irvin trousers with the snap fasteners that are sewn inside the leather flaps.
not to hand ( and to be honest not sure if i have seen) . Wouldn't be hard for who ever fitted the pockets and cuff straps to replace studs at the time of fitting.

Dumpster D

not to hand ( and to be honest not sure if i have seen) . Wouldn't be hard for who ever fitted the pockets and cuff straps to replace studs at the time of fitting.

These pocket flaps look very similar to the Irvin Trouser pockets. I'm sure it was not unheard to have modified a pair of trouser pockets on an RAF Jacket, I'm skeptical in this particular case because Irvin Trouser pockets had darts cut/sewn into the bottom corners to add depth. These do not. So I would have to see some reference photos to make a proper ID on these pockets, whether they're improvised, or recycled from another garment.

Very similar, but I've never seen any other kind of pocket on Irvin Trousers than this:

Pocket.jpg

Last edited:

dbtk44

Nice irvin! Actually like the chest pocket additions, although i have to agree, one would need a couple extra joints in ones arm to get anything out of them whilst wearing. Especially in an Irvin!

Wish there were more complete pics of the wrist straps. Im assuming the straps go all the way around, from the looks of it.
The one thing I don't care for about my Irvin copy (loose replica anyway), is the circumference of the cuffs....just way too big.

OperationCoffee

Nice irvin! Actually like the chest pocket additions, although i have to agree, one would need a couple extra joints in ones arm to get anything out of them whilst wearing. Especially in an Irvin!

Wish there were more complete pics of the wrist straps. Im assuming the straps go all the way around, from the looks of it.
The one thing I don't care for about my Irvin copy (loose replica anyway), is the circumference of the cuffs....just way too big.
What brand Irvin do you own?

dbtk44

What brand Irvin do you own?
Cheap Italian/Paki "Marco Enzolani" brand Irvin copy, with ginger shearling. Really not a bad jacket at all! I just happened across one, brand new w/tags still, at half the price of a new one, so....couldn't pass it up, and glad I didnt.

CombatWombat

I've seen photos of my Polish grandfather (in a "daily life of the unit" photo) and alot of them had pockets on the front, to the point that I thought that's what the Irvins came from the factory like.
It wasn't until I came on this site that I found out it was an oddity