• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Salzburg on Thursday... what to wear ?

John Lever

On Thursday we are going for a short trip to Salzburg, deep snow and sub-zero temperatures.
Should I wear my ELC Perry B-3, an old beaten up ELC RAF Irvin or my custom Few M445 ?
Out of the 3 the RAF is the most comfortable, but he collar is a pig to fasten. The Perry looks great but lacks the very practical pockets of the M445.
Or just an old anorak.....??

Otter

Perry then, as long as you aren't wearing too big a watch, my house Eastman B-3 snags on my Suunyo core and can be realy uncomfortable, wish I had saved for a Roughwear or the Perry!

John Lever

I had hoped to take my new Devon Fleece jacket. I sold several jackets and saved up....placed the order....sorry sold out for several weeks...

Chandler

Whatever outerwear you choose is fine with me, but if you don't go to Augustiner and have a fine beer for me, I'm not talking to you ever again! :D ;)

(BTW -- on my last trip to Salzburg it was early Autumn, so I had my ELC RW-1401 at hand!)

John Lever

Chandler said:
Whatever outerwear you choose is fine with me, but if you don't go to Augustiner and have a fine beer for me, I'm not talking to you ever again! :D ;)

(BTW -- on my last trip to Salzburg it was early Autumn, so I had my ELC RW-1401 at hand!)
What you know the Augustiner ??
It's a great place and yes we plan to go for a pint or two. The beer halls are huge and with the great snack bars selling sauerkraut, salty bread and cheese, the thirst is already building.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQTp-L5RKlo[/video]
We also love the Stiegl Keller in the city just below the fortress. I think it's around 700 years old !

Dani-B

Hi John
Whatever jacket you choose (I would prefer the Perry B-3) - enjoy your trip. Salzburg is a lovely place with lots of history (and delicious austrian cuisine - and fine beers of course...) And don't forget to visit "Hangar 7" near Salzburg Airport - there are some nice warbirds and other interesting things to see.
Regards Dani

John Lever

Thanks Dani,
We know Salzburg very well and have been visiting relatives there for 30 years. Hangar 7 is a great place to visit with the Redbull planes and cars. The bar upstairs is one huge touchscreen computer!

Chandler

John Lever said:

In the top 10 of my list of favorite places in the world to enjoy good beer.

It's a great place and yes we plan to go for a pint or two.

Uh, but don't expect a pint there -- Maß or go home! ;)

We also love the Stiegl Keller in the city just below the fortress. I think it's around 700 years old !

Another very nice place -- spent a memorable evening there with old friends and new friends listening to music and enjoying the beer.

Never been to Austria in winter, I can imagine it's beautiful -- and in case you were unaware, just south of Salzburg is the small village of Werfen -- home to the Schloß Hohenwerfen which was the castle used in the filming of Where Eagles Dare -- well worth a side trip!

CBI

Hopefully, you can attend a concert or two. A great town to do this in................

Chandler

John Lever said:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQTp-L5RKlo[/video]

A little insight for those unfamiliar with the beer culture in Germany and Austria -- in this smart little film you can see customers choosing their own Krug (stein) from a wall shelf, taking it to a warming fountain to rinse warm water over the mug (good lager should not be supped too cold as the flavor will die), and then brought to the bar to be filled by the keg tender.

Augustiner Salzburg / Munich is one of the last larger breweries in that part of the world still using wooden barrels to condition and serve their beers.

Now I'm thirsty -- and it's only 9:00am my time!