• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road Trip Yesterday ..... The Mighty 8th Museum.

Lorenzo_l

Wow Burt. Looks you you photographed the entire museum's collection! Many thanks for that. Interesting that that's the Place where Charles Brown and Franz Stigler (whose story is told in "A higher call"), met in 2000. Looks like a nice place to visit.

warguy

Thanks for posting, those are some great original A2’s. I appreciate the tour and hope to get there someday.

B-Man2

Thanks to all of you guys for the kind words .
Hopefully you’ll all get to see this place one day . While it’s much smaller than the USAF Museum at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton Ohio , it’s a great place to visit to learn about one of the top units who fought the air war in Europe in WWII . I’m sure the new series “Masters of the Air” will depict a lot of people and events that are featured in this museum .
Cheers

Chandler

I didn't see any comparison pics. What were *you* wearing, Burt, and did anyone try to stop you at the exit because they thought you were making off with an exhibit? :D

B-Man2

I didn't see any comparison pics. What were *you* wearing, Burt, and did anyone try to stop you at the exit because they thought you were making off with an exhibit? :D
Unfortunately the temperature was around 84F degrees and I would have been sweating my ass off in any type of jacket, so I didn’t get a chance to show off :(
;)

Brettafett

Amazing stuff Burt, thanks for posting.

Ive often hoped that here in the UK, Hendon or Duxford (or even IWM in London)... They'd build an accurate cockpit replica where one can sit and have your photo taken.
AA couple of these would add a lot of value I think.
Would be great weekend restoration/ build for enthusiasts...
A B-17 Cockpit perhaps?

B-Man2

Amazing stuff Burt, thanks for posting.

Ive often hoped that here in the UK, Hendon or Duxford (or even IWM in London)... They'd build an accurate cockpit replica where one can sit and have your photo taken.
AA couple of these would add a lot of value I think.
Would be great weekend restoration/ build for enthusiasts...
A B-17 Cockpit perhaps?
That sounds like a great idea and very doable as well .

mulceber

Burt, this thread is incredible. As others have commented, it makes me feel like I visited the museum. Thank you so much for sharing all these pictures.

Now, anyone wanna play stump the VLJ IDing the manufacturers of these jackets? :p o_O

B-Man2

Burt, this thread is incredible. As others have commented, it makes me feel like I visited the museum. Thank you so much for sharing all these pictures.

Now, anyone wanna play stump the VLJ IDing the manufacturers of these jackets? :p o_O
Well there’s one I think I might be ok with because I have a similar repro made by JC . I have a Perry Sportswear in Russett goat that looks exactly like this one .
80B67E46-BF45-42BC-B60D-62DF75CF66A5.jpeg
4AE9236E-EF0F-45E3-AEFF-F6E373C92724.jpeg

B-Man2

Hey Burt, I'm trying to sweet talk the better half into taking a vacation to FL when CV is over ;-)
:) Tim
That would be awesome .... :)
if you come here during the summer months things are cheaper than during the winter. But it’s hot as hell. Once you figure out what you’d like to do and see , let me know and I’ll try to give you all the Intel you’ll need for a great trip mate !

Smithy

:) Tim
That would be awesome .... :)
if you come here during the summer months things are cheaper than during the winter. But it’s hot as hell. Once you figure out what you’d like to do and see , let me know and I’ll try to give you all the Intel you’ll need for a great trip mate !

The better half thinks it's a great idea. We'll take the kids to Disney World obviously.

So you might just end up with some Vikings and a Kiwi on your doorstep ;-)