• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road Trip Yesterday ..... The Mighty 8th Museum.

B-Man2

Hey Guys:)
Decided to take a road trip yesterday, and what better place to go when you live two hours away from Savannah Georgia?
The Mighty 8th Museum located in Pooler Georgia, right outside of Savannah .
F1D5D029-4664-427B-8954-3498632DA90F.jpeg

I’ve been here a few times but the exhibits never get old . For those of you who may not know this, the 8th Air Force was established in Savannah Georgia in January of 1942 . Shortly thereafter the first elements of the 8th about eight B-17 bombers flew to England to commence bombing of German assets in France . If your interested in some additional info on the 8th here’s a link to check out .

So back to the museum. Once I arrived there and started moving through the exhibits I thought how cool it would be if I could share some of the displays with a lot of you who have never seen the place . I know a few of you have been here, but except for those few, most of you have not had a chance to see this place . So I decided to go back to the beginning of the exhibits and take some selected photos of gear and jackets and to share those with you in this thread . I tried to take photos of the exhibit and also the placards that identified the what, when and where the item came from . So with that back ground here’s some of what’s available at the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum .
Cheers Guys .
9E3C6871-902A-422E-907C-7450B4C00CED.jpeg
E525273E-C12B-4B57-B251-A1897BFB3CCF.jpeg
F24FBB00-6A7A-483A-85CB-2D98DB758E2A.jpeg
lll
F6B66C91-33F8-4F1D-8124-8AF81C4FFA15.jpeg
BC47907B-2806-4E8C-8293-F2355402762A.jpeg
A1C8B117-02CC-46CD-9FC9-7D829F499406.jpeg
057C20F3-4E80-4B09-A114-8F1B46A1004B.jpeg
B5D197D3-09D7-4AA3-A4C6-634D807DBA05.jpeg

Flightengineer

I don't have much time on the forum now, but this thread ... Thanks for these incredible photos, Burt. Undoubtedly a place worth visiting when I'll visit again US one day. These guys courageously did their job and after watching "The Cold Blue" a year ago, I was only once again convinced of this. I liked the photo with standard embroidered sleeve patch on the A2, I saw such only in Conway's books. A friend of mine once gave me a new original embroidered , at one time I thought to put it on the sleeve of one my A2 in memory of these young pilots.

jerome35

Thanks for this incredible picture tour! Much appreciated! Love the painted jacket, the 100th BG's are great!

Micawber

Burt, glad you had a good trip and thanks for sharing the great photos a lot of which bring back happy memories of our own visit in the late 1990's.
Alison, our baby son, who was only months old, and I were attending a bomb group reunion and a group visit to the museum had been arranged, what an experience! Not only to explore the exhibits but to be constantly assailed by veteran friends who were busting to show me this or that artefact that had jogged their memory about an experience or story they had etc. Alison was kept busy recording as much of this as possible, a frantic but very happy day. We were mostly there to represent our own museum on their old base back in England but also on a personal level to revisit the many friends in the group too. I can picture all of them, some were like kids in a candy store by being with their old crew mates and pals - so much banter and humour it was like the decades fell away, others quietly explored on their own or with their wife / family members, occasionally pausing to reflect or wipe an eye, sometimes wanting, or needing to share a story with them and us.

Thank you so much for the images Burt, I will show them to Alison later, they brought back a lot of memories for me.