• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration Project: original Aero 21996

mulceber

More photos from Steve. Everything’s now installed, and the jacket has mostly been conditioned/dyed. The only parts that are left are the back and one of the arms:
image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Silver Surfer

I doubt that anything was painted on the back, as the wear on the back is consistent with the wear on the back of the left sleeve. also, if there was anything painted on the back there would be tell tale signs of paint, or oil shadows from the paint, due to the paint used would have been oil based. any of us who have handled original a-2s have seen unusual wear patterns rather often. front, back, sleeves, collars, you name it.

Chandler

It looks to me like it could just be the result of regularly having a parachute harness hanging from your back.
Didn't most parachute harnesses hang low -- so you could use them as seat cushions? Or was that only in fighter planes?

Thinking about it, I guess the harness proper still has to strap around your torso.