• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration Project: original Aero 21996

mulceber

No, I'm not talking about the one John Chapman recently sold. That one was already in great shape. I picked this one up on eBay for a pretty great price, all things considered:
68444CF7-C609-477D-AAB2-2EADF277767D_1_105_c.jpeg

The shoulders are an obvious area of concern, as they've lost pretty much all of their pigment:
IMG_0111.jpeg

IMG_0112.jpeg

That said, the leather is still remarkably soft and pliable.

There's also going to need to be some re-stitching:
IMG_0107.jpeg

...and a new zipper chain:
IMG_0106.jpeg

...and the cuffs are shot, although the bottom knits only have a few minor nibbles:
IMG_0110.jpeg

The liner needs some work, but apart from the area around the collar, it's still in very good shape:
IMG_0109.jpeg

That said, this jacket is still very salvageable. As noted above, the leather is still very soft and pliable, without any areas that look to be on the verge of cracking. And JC has already sent along some knits and lining material:
IMG_0104.jpeg

IMG_0105.jpeg

Last edited:

mulceber

If anyone happens to have a female half of a Crown shiny nickel zipper chain (original or repro), please get in touch, as I'd like to buy it - I'd hate to get one from MASH only to cannibalize it for the chain.o_O

Other than that, it's going to be bundled off to @STEVE S. next week for some badly-needed restoration work.

Last edited:

bseal

Check in with Headwind. They might be a good resource. Just look at their Arlo, whoa.

No, I'm not talking about the one John Chapman recently sold. That one was already in great shape. I picked this one up on eBay for a pretty great price, all things considered:
View attachment 124291

The shoulders are an obvious area of concern, as they've lost pretty much all of their pigment:
View attachment 124293
View attachment 124295
That said, the leather is still remarkably soft and pliable.

There's also going to need to be some re-stitching:
View attachment 124297

...and a new zipper chain:
View attachment 124299

...and the cuffs are shot, although the bottom knits only have a few minor nibbles:
View attachment 124301
The liner needs some work, but apart from the area around the collar, it's still in very good shape:
View attachment 124303

That said, this jacket is still very salvageable. As noted above, the leather is still very soft and pliable, without any areas that look to be on the verge of cracking. And JC has already sent along some knits and lining material:
View attachment 124305
View attachment 124307

mulceber

do you plan to do everything yourself?
Nope, sending it to Steve Sellers.

Maybe I'm missing the point (I'm good at it!), but wouldn't it better to send the jacket to JC and let him sort it out good 'n' proper? it would probably be bob on after that.
John doesn’t take on many refurbishment projects these days, from what I gather. He’s got his own jackets to make. Besides, Steve does great work.

foster

Several years ago I rebuilt an Aero 15142 in similar condition so my son could wear it.

Long story short - next time I'll send it to someone like Steve who is specifically experienced with these jackets. My background in textiles combined with my wife's training in apparel design and decades of sewing experience weren't enough for me to be perfectly satisfied with the end result. At least it ended up looking better than it started out when I obtained it!

Attachments

• IMG_8094.JPG
    IMG_8094.JPG
    916 KB · Views: 170