• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro or Original?

Roughwear

This jacket is advertised as a WW11 A2, yet there are features which might suggest a well worn repro. The hanger seems to be too low on the lining, the zip which appears to be original to the jacket has what appears to be a plastic end and the Talon zip slider/puller is similar to those used on some older repros. If its an original wartime made A2, which make is it? It has a collar stand, which narrows the field. It is not a RW or a Perry, first contract Dubow or a Werber. Civilian made jacket perhaps? Any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-LEATHER-USAAC- ... 3ca6457fca

watchmanjimg

I'm far from an expert, but I must say I have my doubts. The zipper looks very much like the one on an old house ELC I used to have.

DiamondDave

Gents,

JC and I discussed this the other day when it went up. We have reached a consensus that it is indeed a repop, of the old Eastman HOUSE design. Gary at one point used those Modern Talon zipper repros with the plastic at the bottom of the tape. If you look at the last image you can clearly see the plastic sticking out of the edge of the zipper tape. Someone is going to pay a premium for a well worn repro, IMHO.

DD

Tim P

Shoot me down if you like but I would imagine a jacket with that amount of wear that was vintage to be 'dryer' and more heavily creased. the plastic zip end screams at you when you look at it. I concur with everyone else.

TankBuster

A friend Emailed me about it a couple days ago, I told him I was sure it was a roughed up repro.
Glad I did. He was interested.

watchmanjimg

That's how my house ELC looked. The leather had a wonderful patina. Never seen anything like it from other makers, but a repro just the same.

better duck

DiamondDave said:
Gary at one point used those Modern Talon zipper repros with the plastic at the bottom of the tape.

My ELC house A2 with the Better Duck painting has the same bronze coloured zipper with the plastic on the tape. I bought that jacket new around 1990. I have another one, no artwork, that I bought in 1988, same repro Talon.
That alone would indicate that the jacket on offer is a repro. Still, the artwork and patches look pretty convincing to me. At least it was good "weathering" that someone did on the patches and artwork.

shiloh

Grant said:
Could it be an early Sefton?

I used to own an older Sefton and still own a very old (unworn) ELC. Both have exactly the same old repro Talon zipper. I hated this zipper and had it replaced for a decent repro Talon zipper. However both these jackets are Steerhide, very grainy surface and the one on Ebay looks like HH. In my opinion this is not a WW2 jacket but a well worn older repro.

Regards,

Shiloh

asiamiles

Indeed, if it's an old repro it would almost certainly be steerhide not horsehide...so that's one possible way to tell.

Note that there were originally different tags sewn to chest, and it looks as if something else was originally painted on the back and has been rubbed off leaving an almost black undertone showing.

I agree, it looks/feels like a repro, but one that someone has done a very good job on...the patches and the paintwork on the back are impressive.

CBI

A very convincing scam? I'm impressed - the jacket looks very cool for an aged repro! I just emailed the seller and asked for details.

dujardin

can't discuss on the jacket, i'm well unable to see the difference between original and repro just by looking some photos.
but can someone tell me which unit represent the patch?
many thanks
marcel

CBI

from seller:

Hello. Really all I can say is that I've had it since 1978. I picked it up in Grand Rapids Michigan at a flea market. I really don't have any other information on it. Wish I could be of more help. We thank you guys for checking on it and for the kind words. Best regards, Richard

Jason

Three things stood out to my eye:
The Talon zip shape is not correct for a 1940s type
The hanger loop looks too wide for any known contract of the 40s that I've seen.
And the pockets look too tall for the size of the jacket, compared to pictures of all other WW2 A-2s that I've seen.

Yep, I'd put my money on a repro - but it does look good.

Roughwear

It looks like its going to go for a high price. Already at £480!!! Clearly some people believe its a painted original!

Andrew

Even though he aparently got it in '78, surely he'd have some info on where he got it from, if original it would have been from a Vet or shop as Ebay didn't exist...

The fact he doesn't want to let on with any further detail suggests that it doesn't actually have any history. I think it's just too patched up to be an original. How many jackets have all the bells and whistles- in this case it's even got the whistle! Fabric flag patch- weren't these all leather or painted? Sq Patch is newish (and on the wrong side unless it's a BG), spray stencilled back art is not at all like the real deal but I guess as a Technical Obsever the Owner may not have had a regular ride.

I reckon it's knocked together but despite what I consider overpatching it's a nice looking jacket.

asiamiles

Andrew said:
Even though he aparently got it in '78, surely he'd have some info on where he got it from, if original it would have been from a Vet or shop as Ebay didn't exist...

He says it was from a flea market. Back in the 70's it would have been possible to luck out and find vintage A-2's in flea markets and the like. Whether we believe this story or not is another matter...if true it's obviously not a repro by a maker we're familiar with, and it seems we're all pretty much in agreement about it being a repro.

TankBuster

Ouch! I know that Aviation Ect. was the underbidder. His jumbled Ebay ID is always the same.
Obviously he really doesn't know much about these jackets he's been buying up for the last couple of years! He got lucky someone wanted it more this time!

Members online

Latest posts