• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repro or Original?

Corey

Aviation etc. is a weird seller. Their store has some over priced stuff that's been listed literally for years. I called them a couple of times in the past and spoke to the owner (I think) Alan Bass. He was nice enough but wouldn't ever get around to talking about specific items or prices. He wanted to get back to me and call me at home, which I thought was strange. I gave him my office number but he never called back. I think he has a brick and mortar store somewhere. It'd be interesting to visit and see his stuff in person.

asiamiles

Will the buyer realize it's a repro when he receives it? That is, if it is a repro. We might all be wrong, and it turns out to be an original.

Corey

asiamiles said:
Will the buyer realize it's a repro when he receives it? That is, if it is a repro. We might all be wrong, and it turns out to be an original.

That or he ends up on an episode of Pawn Stars and they tell him his ww2 bomber jacket is only worth $100.

Andrew

Corey said:
asiamiles said:

That or he ends up on an episode of Pawn Stars and they tell him his ww2 bomber jacket is only worth $100.

Has anyone ever seen one of these antiques roadshow type things where anyone has brought in anything good (military) for assessment? It's usually grandmas china. I often wonder whether the "Experts" they have on them would be that aware of the relative worth of say the kind of thing we value or in this case would know enough to pick a well aged repro.

SuinBruin

Andrew said:
Has anyone ever seen one of these antiques roadshow type things where anyone has brought in anything good (military) for assessment? It's usually grandmas china. I often wonder whether the "Experts" they have on them would be that aware of the relative worth of say the kind of thing we value or in this case would know enough to pick a well aged repro.
On the U.S. version of Antiques Roadshow they have U.S. Civil War items fairly regularly, but that's about it. There's the occasional Revolutionary War item, and I can recall one WWII USN submarine grouping (battle flag & some other stuff), but generally speaking they don't have much in the way of militaria apart from the CW stuff.