• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

nagmashdriver

Yes I know, another photo thread but I couldn't find anywhere appropriate to post this and I thought it was just awesome, so this thread can be a place holder for all the other cool photos that don't fit in all the other photo threads.

Two Texas ANG 51s over USS Texas in 1948. Note how the one on the left hasn't had the new USAF red bar added to the wing star and bar.

Hope you guys like it as much as I do (as always click on the pic for larger)...

H6xNFTw.jpg
Cool pic, especially with the contrasting "stars and bars"! Reminds me of a similarly cool pic which just happens to be for sale...

Attachments

• P-51 Mustang poster Univ. Nebraska stadium 002.JPG
    P-51 Mustang poster Univ. Nebraska stadium 002.JPG
    323.5 KB · Views: 82
  • P-51 Mustang poster Univ. Nebraska stadium 001.JPG
    P-51 Mustang poster Univ. Nebraska stadium 001.JPG
    655.1 KB · Views: 83
  • P-51 Mustang poster Univ. Nebraska stadium 003.JPG
    P-51 Mustang poster Univ. Nebraska stadium 003.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 79

johnwayne

Anyone notice the “Private Purchase “ jacket on the guy standing on the far right?
Just noticed that too, interesting to think why he wouldn’t have had or qualified to have an A2, he certainly looks like ‘flight personnel’ but poss a ‘desk jockey’ whom I think didn’t qualify? Also interesting his how the M41 ‘Parsons’ Field jacket regularly turns up in pics along with Tanker jackets as in this pic! Thought they were just Army issue but maybe why I have all three in my repro wardrobe!!

Attachments

• AFB6EDE2-0809-4BA0-BBD0-8F704A0444A9.jpeg
    AFB6EDE2-0809-4BA0-BBD0-8F704A0444A9.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 64

B-Man2

I think that the USAAF had access to everything clothing wise that the US Army infantry guys were being issued . Pretty much similar to USAAF using kit from the RAF. Photos often show US Pilots wearing life vests, helmets, boots etc from RAF inventories. A bunch of P.38 pilots used tanker jackets as flight jackets as well.

ZuZu

Just noticed that too, interesting to think why he wouldn’t have had or qualified to have an A2, he certainly looks like ‘flight personnel’ but poss a ‘desk jockey’ whom I think didn’t qualify? Also interesting his how the M41 ‘Parsons’ Field jacket regularly turns up in pics along with Tanker jackets as in this pic! Thought they were just Army issue but maybe why I have all three in my repro wardrobe!!

I think they wore whatever they liked! I think some found their "old pal from home" jacket a comfort possibly. And I think part of the reason we ended up with the MA1 was the WW2 tanker jacket. Warmer and more efficient in the cockpit. All of this from me is of course 100% pure speculation...