• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

flyincowboy

Bing Crosby takes a break hunting at his ranch
Bing Crosby takes a break after a deer hunt.jpg

Kermit3D

Infantrymen take cover behind a hedgerow near Srionze, France, as they fire at the enemy only a matter of yards away. 39th Infantry Regiment, 9th Infantry Division.

52291477791_40e589d5d4_4k.jpg

Tank moves through thick mud in France to demonstrate one of newly-installed "Duck Bills" on outside of tracks for better traction. 5 November, 1944. 6th Armored Division, 68th Tank Battalion.

51976677582_a7c7319c9a_4k.jpg

An unwounded GI, left, and one that has been slightly wounded, right, help a third man to a jeep that will take him to a hospital in the rear area. The GI on the left is wearing a cyclist jacket (Hartmann jacket)

51969198651_831288db81_4k.jpg

German prisoners taken in drive south of Colmar carry a wounded American with them as they are marched out of the battle area. 4 February, 1945.

49556642946_965e6a854e_o.jpg

Capt. Thomas H. Garahan, Brooklyn, New York, raises American flag as Bitche, France, falls to the 100th Infantry Division, US Seventh Army, after a siege of many months. He was with the first troops to enter the town. March 16, 1945.

49429373518_bad13be6b3_4k.jpg

Preliminary to their actual jump from a transport plane, these doctors of the First Special Service Force are thoroughly oriented to the feel of a parachute by wearing the practice harness shown here.

49540378701_74de2606ed_o.jpg

Kermit3D

Every time I see pictures of these Warbird graveyards my heart is bleeding. Almost 98% of these exciting machines were scrapped even they survived until wars end. So much interesting types are gone forever with not a single exemplar left.
Just imagine there would be a airworthy Ju87 today... just sad
Yes, I have the same feeling every time too.
So much effort and suffering to develop, produce, maintain in flight condition, ... exceptional aircraft, advanced technology, and of immense historical importance.
All this was quickly destroyed after the war.
But I can also imagine the desire to make the ghosts of a time of great suffering disappear.

Kermit3D

@Enigma1938, did you see that picture with the GI wearing a cyclist jacket ?

https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/attachments/51969198651_831288db81_4k-jpg.102185/

I've been interested in this type of jacket (leather or fabric cyclist jacket) for years now. I've been doing a lot of research on this subject. I am surprised by the lack of documentation on cyclist jackets.
Let's take the example of this GI. It's amazing that he's wearing this jacket, I imagine he's in opposition to US military regulations and potentially exposing himself to sanctions.
I wonder what would cause him to take this risk.

Is it because it's a practical and functional jacket ? I don't really believe it... those who have already worn a cyclist jacket know that it's not an easy jacket to wear (restriction of movements, very tight/close fitting jacket).
Is it a fashion thing ? It's possible, but I also have my doubts about the importance of fashion when you're in combat... but on the other hand, maybe it has a positive influence on morale.

It's also amazing to see that such a "precise" pattern is shared by so many jackets from different manufacturers/crafters. This is similar to the A-2 jacket but the big difference is that there was a global design requested by the army.

In short... the cyclist jacket is a really enigmatic garment. :rolleyes:

B-Man2

https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/attachments/51969198651_831288db81_4k-jpg.102185/

I've been interested in this type of jacket (leather or fabric cyclist jacket) for years now. I've been doing a lot of research on this subject. I am surprised by the lack of documentation on cyclist jackets.
Let's take the example of this GI. It's amazing that he's wearing this jacket, I imagine he's in opposition to US military regulations and potentially exposing himself to sanctions.

Is it because it's a practical and functional jacket ? I don't really believe it... those who have already worn a cyclist jacket know that it's not an easy jacket to wear (restriction of movements, very tight/close fitting jacket).
Is it a fashion thing ? It's possible, but I also have my doubts about the importance of fashion when you're in combat... but on the other hand, maybe it has a positive influence on morale.

It's also amazing to see that such a "precise" pattern is shared by so many jackets from different manufacturers/crafters. This is similar to the A-2 jacket but the big difference is that there was a global design requested by the army.

In this photo you see the true length of the jacket . Belt length with high waisted pants or shorter was the norm.

B-Man2

The soldier in the photo could have taken it from a German Prisoner and wore it as a captured item . Although that certainly would have made him a target of a German sniper or a reason to be shot if captured . I can’t substantiate the info but at one point I’ve heard that any American soldier carrying a Luger or a P.38 pistol and was taken prisoner was shot . I’m sure we did something similar.

ES335

Every time I see pictures of these Warbird graveyards my heart is bleeding. Almost 98% of these exciting machines were scrapped even they survived until wars end. So much interesting types are gone forever with not a single exemplar left.
Just imagine there would be a airworthy Ju87 today... just sad
Agreed 100%. I suppose they were seen as just enemy aircraft only suitable for scrap, especailly as jet technology had made the piston-driven prop plane basically obsolete by 1945. Some examples were taken to PAX River in southern Maryland for evaluation, often to the point of destruction. One furtunate exception is the last surviving FW Ta152 stored at the Smithsonian's Silver Hill facility in suburban Washington DC. witch I was kucky enough to see personally in 2005. As far as I know, it's still there, awaiting resoration for display pending funding, of course.

Enigma1938

Yes I've seen that picture, nice rare find!
There must have been something special with those jackets back then. French workers (and later resistance) loved them, Luftwaffe Staff loved them and obviously some Americans had also a interest in them. Surprisingly this style fell into oblivion for many decades after the fifties, I think it had to do with the general change of Fashion over the time, so hight waisted Pants vanished also....

Last edited: