• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

FlakMagnet

50882D39-A480-4A4B-8B87-816205B8A507.jpeg

ausreenactor

Have ticked up two ours of Vietnam myself. Had to pay for everything and hungover every day. Was just as rough as they say....

BEAUTIFUL country and people. Taking Tianna to Hanoi one day....ONE DAY! She laughed.. then looked sad. Anyhoo....

ZuZu

Helmet graffiti, US Marine, Khe Sanh, March '68...

tumblr_ngxlxsWVfe1reg6u1o1_12801.jpg

And this guy was lucky with a capital L...

tumblr_nnm509xmPl1rdb1byo1_4001.jpg

I worked with 6 Vietnam vets in a shop of 7 (me) at the Carpenter Shop at the San Francisco VA Medical center in the 1980s and early 90s. Not exactly a happy go lucky bunch but hilarious sense of black humor. They carried the consequences of that experience. In the hospital itself the full horror of the aftermath of war was on display in its full array. I do have to say though that some of them (at least the guys I worked with) wouldn't have missed the experience. Others were messed up by it...

Smithy

I worked with 6 Vietnam vets in a shop of 7 (me) at the Carpenter Shop at the San Francisco VA Medical center in the 1980s and early 90s. Not exactly a happy go lucky bunch but hilarious sense of black humor. They carried the consequences of that experience. In the hospital itself the full horror of the aftermath of war was on display in its full array. I do have to say though that some of them (at least the guys I worked with) wouldn't have missed the experience. Others were messed up by it...

Vietnam must have been a difficult war to fight mentally for those involved Jeff. Unlike WWII which was morally more defensible from a soldier's personal perspective, Vietnam was a whole of grey and then towards the end a case of "WTF are we doing here?". You can understand why Vietnam vets had to cope with a heap more "philosophical" shit than their WWII forebears.

ZuZu

Vietnam must have been a difficult war to fight mentally for those involved Jeff. Unlike WWII which was morally more defensible from a soldier's personal perspective, Vietnam was a whole of grey and then towards the end a case of "WTF are we doing here?". You can understand why Vietnam vets had to cope with a heap more "philosophical" shit than their WWII forebears.

To be honest I don't think it was any harder than any other war for any other soldier. At least most got out in 1 year instead of having to take it for the "duration".

Smithy

To be honest I don't think it was any harder than any other war for any other soldier. At least most got out in 1 year instead of having to take it for the "duration".

True Jeff, my point though was more about the conflict at home amongst the American public about the morality and justification of the war, and how that conflict back home filtered down to the grunts in the field and affected their perception of what they were doing and in some ways made it even harder.