• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post up your aviation class photos (and ID any jackets you can see)

mulceber

Class_44C.jpg

I see a Perry on the guy 5th from the right in the back, probably an Aero to his left, and a Dubow on the next guy.

Kermit3D

Beautiful photo Jan.
Look at that drape ! It's almost as if those A-2s were made from very thin leatherette :D (please don't hit me).
I'll say it again and again... I suspect that most A-2 reproductions use too stiff leather.

Greg Gale

Is it just me or A-2s on class photos looks very different from those taken at operational squadrons. They seem baggy, the drape is weird, they haven't molded to the wearer's body yet.

mulceber

Is it just me or A-2s on class photos looks very different from those taken at operational squadrons. They seem baggy, the drape is weird, they haven't molded to the wearer's body yet.
Well the photo was taken in Arizona and it looks like all of the class are just wearing their basic flight suit under them. Way fewer layers than you would see in photos on air bases in Britain or whatnot.

Greg Gale

Well the photo was taken in Arizona and it looks like all of the class are just wearing their basic flight suit under them. Way fewer layers than you would see in photos on air bases in Britain or whatnot.

Fewer layers? Many pilots wore it over their pink shirt only, that's thinner than a flight suit.

mulceber

Yeah, and they mostly look baggy in them too. Burt has said it many times before, but it bears repeating: these jackets only looked fitted on their owners because the owners were doing a lot of layering. The reason most of them could still fit in them 60-70 years later isn't that they were the same size, but because they were now wearing just a t-shirt under the jacket.

B-Man2

Compare photos of guys wearing A2’s in that photo with guys wearing them in Europe . Theres a distinct difference in the fit in the US as most of the flight training was done in warmer climates . In Europe they wore about 4 layers of clothes under their A2’s .

Chandler

Bangers and mash, Best Bitter, and after-mission shots of Scotch. ;)

Chandler

Not exactly a true class photo, but sort of.

I have a copy of this Life mag buried in my storage unit -- purchased back in the '80s. The image grabbed me at the time because of the diverse characters portrayed -- and the different jackets and other items of kit. I was also taken by some of the guys who "folded" the collars of their A-2s. Prompted me to do that with mine now and again.

There's even a "P-38 pilot" in there you can make out. ;) @B-Man2

a5h8vS0.jpg

B-Man2

Not exactly a true class photo, but sort of.

I have a copy of this Life mag buried in my storage unit -- purchased back in the '80s. The image grabbed me at the time because of the diverse characters portrayed -- and the different jackets and other items of kit. I was also taken by some of the guys who "folded" the collars of their A-2s. Prompted me to do that with mine now and again.

There's even a "P-38 pilot" in there you can make out. ;) @B-Man2

a5h8vS0.jpg
And I bet he’s wearing a “Winter Combat Jacket”:) ( See there … I got it ! ;)