• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phillip's Tanning & Clo Co B-3 1938 contract

Roughwear

Here are some pictures of an extremely nice B-3 by the very rare maker Phillip's Tanning and Clothing Co of Newburgh, N.Y. The contract is 38-3640-P and it's a size 40R. The redskin is very strong and there is almost no wear to the jacket at all, apart from a little at the end of the cuffs. The zipper is the hookless variety of Talon and it works smoothly with no loss of teeth. This is not a jacket I intend to wear (apart from to the odd airshow-weather permitting!) although it does fit me being a little bigger than wartime size 40s. It belonged to Dennis Burden (enlisted in 1940), a staff Sergeant who was stationed in the Pacific theatre in the War, working on C-47s. He was with the 13th troop carrier squadron nick named “Thirsty 13”. I don't think he wore the jacket very much at all! I bought it from Burden's son. It has had one light coat of Pecards.

010-9.jpg

011-13.jpg

021-7.jpg

008-11.jpg

020-9.jpg

019-9.jpg

018-8.jpg

016-12.jpg

015-10.jpg

014-11.jpg

013-10.jpg

012-12.jpg

John Lever

Re: Phillips Tanning & Clo Co B-3 1938 contract

Stunning coloured jacket. Surely it would stand some light wear, the skin looks strong enough ?
Is this the one you recently ought from ebay ?

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Stunning coloured jacket. Surely it would stand some light wear, the skin looks strong enough ?
Is this the one you recently ought from ebay ?

Hi John, Yes this is the one I recently bought. It is robust and will certainly stand light wear.

better duck

absolutely amazing, Andrew. Heartfelt congratulations on this one!

John Lever

Just reviewed the photos from the auction. It looked very dirty and tatty, but your photos show a much better desirable jacket.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Just reviewed the photos from the auction. It looked very dirty and tatty, but your photos show a much better desirable jacket.

The photos were not great. It was a little dirty. I removed the dirt with a damp cloth before applying a light coat of Pecards.

dujardin

simply splendid jacket Andrew, really splendid; real beauty.

byeeeeeeee marcel

T-Bolt

Excellent find there, Andrew. What a beautiful jacket! :cool:

Ted

Roughwear

Thnaks guys-1938 out of a box! The jacket had been stored since the War and I guess it rarely worn in the Pacific theatre.

Amazing condition for its age, I think it is the nicest one I have ever seen also. Wow! Looks to have that beautiful pre-war quality, too.

Andrew

I know next to nothing about B-3's but from using my usual vintage jacket assessment criteria it certainly does look great.

Stay with me here as i've had a couple of WA Reds tonight but- one thing that always amazes me is that you almost never see B-3's over size 42 whilst Irvins to fit a 46 size are not uncommon.

Am I just mistaken or will a 42 in a B-3 fit a modern day 46? The Irvin was designed to be worn over a suit (service dress) so one that was intended for a guy who was technically a 42 or so in jacket size would actually be wearing a jacket which someone my size (46) would wear with only one layer underneath- and I have number of couple of these. Did they actually make B-3's 46 and up?

Roughwear

Andrew, Larger size B3s are rare. I have owned them in a size 44 and seen size 46 ones for sale very occasionally on Ebay. Now as for size 48s and 50, they are ultra rare birds indeed!

Peter Graham

Unfortunately for me 36's and 38's are also hard to find. The majority of B-3's that come up for sale are 40 or 42.

Falcon_52

The color of the piling looks absolutely gorgeous - the nicest that I've ever seen. The jacket looks really fantastic all around. That was a great purchase, Andrew. There can't be many from this manufacturer floating around anymore.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Noel

m444uk

I love the varying tones of the fleece in Andrews redskin

021-7.jpg

I used to have an Irvin that had similar colours inside the arms. Proof of course that both were veg dyed and the dye bleeds through to the wool.
This is something that the repro makers just can't seem to nail properly.The wool tends to be monotone even on otherwise excellent jackets like the Few and ELC Roughwear examples bellow.

f_016b.jpg

normal_EastmanLeatherCoRoughwearRed.jpg

adam

Cliff

Beautiful Jacket Andrew, simply beautiful. Well done in finding such an excellent example.
It really does look as if it's just been issued.

rgds

Cliff