• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perry A-2

Jason

Both my Perrys feature this offset hanger loop as well, so I think we can raise the ratio to somewhat higher than 1 in 3. I can visualise in my head one person, just one, sitting at their place along the assembly line in Newburgh, 1943, whose sole job it was to place & stitch in the hanger loop. And that one person doing the same job over and over again, set in their ways, perhaps for weeks on end (how many thousands of jackets would they have added their signature touch to?) added this nuance - wether through habit, workstation ergonomics or their way of rebellion against a mundane & repetitive task. And then after many thousands of Perrys going across their workstation, he or she changes jobs, and the next person comes along to take their place - centrally sewn hangers and symmetry the order of the day from then on.

Marv

could it be that the mistake (if there was any) was made during the contract pattern drawing so when the pattern was supplied to the makers, it was just copied directly from drawing and onto the jacket.......just a thought.

Andrew

Just for fun here are my two as well;

7D36877B-EC95-4B0A-8982-734141423A2E-3480-00000315FC45FE84_zpsdec4d31f.jpg

62A41632-4E47-4CC3-88FC-041CFF51CC6B-3480-000003160FE68169_zpsdec60dd9.jpg

:cool:

Dr H

Platon
The value of your Perry is rising all the time - it's quite a rare beast...
Jason, Andrew S - your hangers please...? :cool:

Steve H

Jason said:
Both my Perrys feature this offset hanger loop as well, so I think we can raise the ratio to somewhat higher than 1 in 3. I can visualise in my head one person, just one, sitting at their place along the assembly line in Newburgh, 1943, whose sole job it was to place & stitch in the hanger loop. And that one person doing the same job over and over again, set in their ways, perhaps for weeks on end (how many thousands of jackets would they have added their signature touch to?) added this nuance - wether through habit, workstation ergonomics or their way of rebellion against a mundane & repetitive task. And then after many thousands of Perrys going across their workstation, he or she changes jobs, and the next person comes along to take their place - centrally sewn hangers and symmetry the order of the day from then on.

And consistently offset by the looks of things ie an even inch or whatever each time. Consistent in the offset measurements.

A

Anonymous

OK, guys mystery solved. I wen't to BK's and examined the original Perry.
The hanger IS centered in the back equally spaced between the shoulders (and top part of neck).
It's perfectly straight. You can see it that also if you look in the photo above.
What is wrong is that the back seam of the collar IS NOT IN THE CENTER but is moved to the left.
This happens due to the fact that one of the two under collar pieces is longer than the other.

Therefore, this is a mistake of their pattern, not poor craftmanship on the part of the guy who was sewing on the hangers.
(In fact, it is the hangers that are centered with the back collar seam which are the ones actually crooked).

So, if it was simply an error of the machinist, we would correct it.
Now that it is established that it is due to the pattern, well, we cannot change the pattern if we want to call ourselves makers of authentic repros.

I should thank you for your observation. I hadn't noticed that as we haven't made any Perry jackets yet, just have completed the pattern. The pattern guy has instructions to copy exactly what he sees and not "correct" anything, so everything is as it supposed to be.

Andrew

That makes sense. I haven't pulled my painted one out again to confirm but from the photo the hanger is lined up with the gap between flying and circus which would be centred.

Dr H

Notwithstanding the comments about the asymmetry/misalignment in the collar pattern, if the collar seam and hanger loop are centrally placed then I reiterate - the manufacturer's label is offset.

CIMG2679.jpg

Dr H

Me? Hell yeah!
All of my Perry labels have been offset.
Face it, Perrys are inherently asymmetrical ;)

A

Anonymous

Me? Hell yeah!
All of my Perry labels have been offset.
Face it, Perrys are inherently asymmetrical

A

Anonymous

New evidence came to light when we opened the inside of an original horsehide Perry.
Interestingly enough the Perry is made with a dull purple thread that was found in excellent condition.

It's a color we never have seen before on an A-2 jacket and we are lucky to already have the exact color in stock.

This thread worths nothing without pictures so here's a comparison so you can also see it.

scan0078.jpg

Also, if you look closely at the first image on this page (label) you will notice it's the same color.

Dr H

Liking this Perry project more and more Platon.
Make an accurate one in War Horse and you'll have an order from me...

wop54

I loved checking this thread and the accuracy of the making of an excellent repro! Thanks guys. :cool:

A

Anonymous

Liking this Perry project more and more Platon.
Make an accurate one in War Horse and you'll have an order from me...

What I liked most is that people joined in and participated. It was great fun and I enjoyed it.
It's boring when doing it all alone.