• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perry A-2

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,
Do you prefer your Perry repro with Conmar zip to stay true to original,
or you 'd rather have it with Talon??

B-Man2

I'd like to see it stay true to the original.
That's seems to be the utopia of repro A2 collecting.

Dr H

I've owned original Perrys with both (one a factory refurb) - always better with a Conmar or a Crown.

Roughwear

Most Perry A2s had Conmars and like Ian I prefer them to be used on Perrys. They tend to be more robust than Crown zips.

chamboid

Andy, are you getting a Perry in the pipe-line? nice, yes Conmar all the way, would you also offer it in Goat?

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, I appreciate your opinions. Conmar it will be.
Yes, Perry is on the way, but in horse only I guess.
Demand for goat is supposed to be low compared with horse,
plus we have only dk seal goat and no plans for russet yet.

Dr H

Make sure you get that collar asymmetry and offset label right... :cool:
Are you going for a three piece windflap?

A

Anonymous

collar assymetry check

which offset label you mean?

the original we used had a one piece flap so we 're going this way, however if there is a custom request for 3 piece can satisfy it.

Dr H

The placement of most labels/hangers looks like this (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9526&hilit=Perry)
To date, I've seen one original lined up centrally.
Looking at the centre seam down the rear collar, the hanger is set to one side with the label placed centrally.
If you want somebody to examine/comment on your Perry 16175-P (assuming it's a 44) then I'll be interested, but beware I'm very picky where Perrys are concerned.

Dr H

Thanks Steve, I've owned a few Perrys (4 originals and 2 or is it 3? Good Wears) in my time...

There's a broken link (that I can no longer edit) in that thread showing clearly the offset of the hanger loop on both contracts.

IMG_8063.jpg

A

Anonymous

well, I that what we are looking at is the inability of the wartime craftsman to center the hanger loop there
I don't think this was something specified. (who would specify something wrong like that?)
We tend to correct such mistakes because when one pays a suitcase full of dollars for a jacket usually doesn't want any mistakes like that.

Again, however, we are fully flexible to satifsy anyone who want his off center. (He just needs to let us know).

Dr H

PLATON said:
well, I that what we are looking at is the inability of the wartime craftsman to center the hanger loop there
I don't think this was something specified. (who would specify something wrong like that?)
We tend to correct such mistakes because when one pays a suitcase full of dollars for a jacket usually doesn't want any mistakes like that.

Again, however, we are fully flexible to satifsy anyone who want his off center. (He just needs to let us know).

No, I'm sorry Platon, but I'm not convinced that's the case at all.

I have owned three goatskin Perry 23377s (of a contract run of 20,000) and one Perry 16175-P (of a contract run of 50,000) and all had the offset hanger loop. So the odds of me picking consistently an offset loop are 3/20,000 or 1/50,000 (the latter based on the fact that I've only had one HH Perry). Of the 20+ others that I've seen in images (in either contract) only one has been offered up with a centrally placed hanger loop. Do the maths...

I don't know how large the Perry operation was, but I've seen the factory at Newburgh in Gary's book - it doesn't look like a handful of people in the operation. Is it likely that I've been lucky enough to pick one or two operators who couldn't centre a hanger loop? Is that really so hard to do...?

A mistake? Possibly, but unlikely - a one off? No - it's a feature of the Perry jacket just like the 3-piece wind flap. Was this specified? No, but it was clearly company practice to eke out scare stocks of leather.

To the ordinary Joe in the street a centrally placed loop is what they're expecting - I would venture that the informed collector will be disappointed if the pattern is not reproduced with the subtle nuances.

A

Anonymous

No, I'm sorry Platon, but I'm not convinced that's the case at all.

I have owned three goatskin Perry 23377s (of a contract run of 20,000) and one Perry 16175-P (of a contract run of 50,000) and all had the offset hanger loop. So the odds of me picking consistently an offset loop are 3/20,000 or 1/50,000 (the latter based on the fact that I've only had one HH Perry). Of the 20+ others that I've seen in images (in either contract) only one has been offered up with a centrally placed hanger loop. Do the maths...

I don't know how large the Perry operation was, but I've seen the factory at Newburgh in Gary's book - it doesn't look like a handful of people in the operation. Is it likely that I've been lucky enough to pick one or two operators who couldn't centre a hanger loop? Is that really so hard to do...?

A mistake? Possibly, but unlikely - a one off? No - it's a feature of the Perry jacket just like the 3-piece wind flap. Was this specified? No, but it was clearly company practice to eke out scare stocks of leather.

To the ordinary Joe in the street a centrally placed loop is what they're expecting - I would venture that the informed collector will be disappointed if the pattern is not reproduced with the subtle nuances.

I do not disagree.
but you try and explain that (and convice) the disappointed customers who will ask for their money back due to having received a "defective" with a crooked hanger.

I checked the images of 3 original perrys I have. In one it is not visible, the other is crooked and the third is centered as below

630468261_o.jpg

This is a 1 in 3 or 33% possibility for me that they were centered. So the fact that some centered were there does not make the centered repro wrong.

But as I said, we will be open to accomodate anyone who wants crooked. He will just need to specify it.

Now that we are talking about these things, there is something else.
Some Perrys have the double barrel eyelet put the wrong way (please see data plate 21 in Gary's book).
I have seen that in other contracts as well and I have also seen it put the correct way.

Again, we will prefer to do it correctly in our standard version, but are here to accomodate any special requests that someone may have in order to be happy with his jacket.

What do you think?

A

Anonymous

sorry I don't have that
but suppose that the seam is in the center
otherwise we are talking about off center seams to which I don't think can be possible