• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original B-2 Winter Flight Jacket Found!

elbow392

Greetings, I am trying to research an old bomber jacket that was handed down to me. It is a Winter Flying Jacket Type B-2, Contract no. W-535 AC-4665, Dwg. No. 31-2412, Werber Leather Coat, Beacon NY. The front pocket is missing, and from what I found this is normal, they were all removed. Also I found that it was only made from 1931-1933, and examples quite rare. Any info on this jacket is appreciated. I wish this jacket could talk! Thanks for allowing me to post here, it appears to be a very informative site!

elbow392

Am I allowed as a new user to post pictures? I tried, perhaps I did it incorrectly. I would love to post some photos.

elbow392

Can anyone tell me how rare it is? It is in nice condition, the original "Talon" zippers are intact, and the pockets are missing. Hopefully members here can enlighten me. Any help is appreciated. :p

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
elbow392 said:
Can anyone tell me how rare it is? It is in nice condition, the original "Talon" zippers are intact, and the pockets are missing. Hopefully members here can enlighten me. Any help is appreciated. :p

Great score ... its rarity I would describe as very. The pockets were removed after a Technical Order in May 1934.

Both Buzz Rickson, and The Few, here in NZ have reproduced this Werber contract. The Few purchased an original which can be seen on this earlier thread ...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3843&p=38172

... and if you would like to post pictures, just go for it. Instructions are on the Index page.

elbow392

I will get some pictures up as soon as the administrator lets me. I can't wait for you to see them. If anybody can help me with getting pics up, I would appreciate it, I believe because I'm a newbie my pic posting permission has not been granted yet. Keep watching, I'll get them up asap, If I can email them to somebody who does have permission to post them, I definetly will! What an intriguing piece of history!

elbow392

That was a good thread! Those were the only pics of an original B-2 on the internet that I have seen, other than mine!

John Lever

I found this pic recently -
B-2.jpg

Falcon_52

Thanks for the pictures, elbow392. The jacket looks to be in amazing shape given its age. B-2s are rare enough but in a size 44! :shock: Fantastic! I find it interesting that the zipper has a double trunnion puller like some Irvin zips. I didn't know those early Talons had that kind of puller. Great stuff. Take good care of that beauty.

Noel

elbow392

I talked to John Chapman of Goodwear Leather. It doesn'nt sound like he would be reproducing these any time soon. He said the zippers alone would be a fortune to reproduce correctly, I guess they are unique in size and construction. I have looked at the reproductions out there but to me they don't look exactly like this one, the little details are not the same. Don't get me wrong, I would be proud to own one of those hadcrafted reproductions!
If I could get one made exactly the way I wanted, I might seriously consider it. The first thing I would do is have some patches sewn on, and the remove them all, along with the pockets!
Better yet, have it made from distressed horse hide to begin with!
I just think antique item look their best when you can see the wear, and use, it gives them soul!

John Lever

This jacket is unusual in that it has had two front pockets, see photo 23.
I would say the the current repro's are pretty accurate, the only differences between your jacket being the collar strap and zip type. My Lost worlds had a collar strap, but my Buzz and Few don't. The zip on my Few jacket has a similar design.
Buzz -
BuzzRicksons019.jpg

All three -
IMGP1617.jpg